Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Discover Card

Does any one know who discover pulls? What are chances of being approved? 

My brother in-law is here and was thinking about applying for discover. His FICO scores EQ 732 TU 701. While his EQ report is clean with no negatives his TU has 1 collection that should drop off when ever TU gets to it since should have been off already. He has also just started rebuilding his credit like myself about 4 years ago which would be his oldest account.

Trade Lines 

1 Cap One 1200 limit - balance 0 - 4 years old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Orchard 400 limit - balance 0 - 3 years old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Car Loan 17103 balance - just over a year old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Student Loan Paid in Full - old school loan paid off 9 1/2 years ago - - - - shows on TU only

No INQ on EQ

1 INQ on TU

No negatives on EQ

1 collection on TU that hasn't fallen off yet. Both EQ and EX have removed already.

He was going to try for Discover More card and I have no experience with this card myself to offer any advice.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Card

@JM-AM wrote:

Does any one know who discover pulls? What are chances of being approved? 

My brother in-law is here and was thinking about applying for discover. His FICO scores EQ 732 TU 701. While his EQ report is clean with no negatives his TU has 1 collection that should drop off when ever TU gets to it since should have been off already. He has also just started rebuilding his credit like myself about 4 years ago which would be his oldest account.

Trade Lines 

1 Cap One 1200 limit - balance 0 - 4 years old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Orchard 400 limit - balance 0 - 3 years old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Car Loan 17103 balance - just over a year old - - - - shows on EQ and TU - Pays as Agreed

1 Student Loan Paid in Full - old school loan paid off 9 1/2 years ago - - - - shows on TU only

No INQ on EQ

1 INQ on TU

No negatives on EQ

1 collection on TU that hasn't fallen off yet. Both EQ and EX have removed already.

He was going to try for Discover More card and I have no experience with this card myself to offer any advice.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

Have him try the pre-approval first.

Message 2 of 31
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

That was done and came up with 3 different cards. I told him to pull the trigger thinking it works like AMEX with a higher approval chance if pre approved from site, since I did that today with AMEX, but he wanted to here what others thought. His concern is the collection on TU. If they pull TU he will wait it out until it is off, if they pull EQ or EX he was going to pull the trigger and apply.

Good Luck
Message 3 of 31
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

For my Discover More, they pulled Equifax and then did a soft pull on Transunion.The latter showed up as an account review entry. I don't have bad entries, so I don't know how much they can see/cannot see the collection thing on TU that you mentioned. I would carefully assume that they would find out.

Personally, I would wait until the collection falls off TU and then apply. The pre-approval might not give you a perfectly reliable answer. If he's a good boy otherwise, I cannot see a reason why they would reject him. But then, you never know. They might just approve him on the spot. Personally, I would wait, though.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wollepopolle wrote:

For my Discover More, they pulled Equifax and then did a soft pull on Transunion.The latter showed up as an account review entry. I don't have bad entries, so I don't know how much they can see/cannot see the collection thing on TU that you mentioned. I would carefully assume that they would find out.

Personally, I would wait until the collection falls off TU and then apply. The pre-approval might not give you a perfectly reliable answer. If he's a good boy otherwise, I cannot see a reason why they would reject him. But then, you never know. They might just approve him on the spot. Personally, I would wait, though.

Yeah agreed, wait what I've heard is TU is pulled frequently for Discover. The pre-approval could just be score based and then when you're apping they will look at the whol report and see the collection.  Take a peek at   whogavemecredit.com

Message 5 of 31
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Thank you wollepopolle. 

He will be here for several hours tonight so I am sure he will be thinking it over if he should try or not. 

Good Luck
Message 6 of 31
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Thank you iluvmyfico.

Good Luck
Message 7 of 31
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i live in florida and they only pulled equifax. i looked for soft pulls from transunion by discover but never saw any. i think i was 745 when i applied for discover more.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 8 of 31
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Now that makes him excited scottwagnon as his EQ is in great shape. He lives in TN do not know if that matters.

Good Luck
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wollepopolle wrote:

This is a good point.  I should have thought it through more before I suggested the per-approval. Actually, I receive two a month in the mail and I finally apped for one and was denied because of too many new accts. I couldn't believe it bc I've been receiveing them for mos.  Not to mention, I got another pre-approval in the mail two weeks lateer!!!!  Probably just best to wait til the reports are ALL clean.  :-/

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.