Reply
New Contributor
dodgehilton
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎05-01-2009
0

Discover Card

I am considering applying for either a Discover or American Express Card. Does anyone know what your scores need to be for approval, and if a public record over 7 years ago will prevent approval? I don't want any unnessary inquiries.

 

Thanks.

Valued Contributor
JM-AM
Posts: 3,303
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0

Re: Discover Card


dodgehilton wrote:

I am considering applying for either a Discover or American Express Card. Does anyone know what your scores need to be for approval, and if a public record over 7 years ago will prevent approval? I don't want any unnessary inquiries.

 

Thanks.


Discover has a pre-approval on their web-site... You can try that 1st and see what happens. It is only a soft pull. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
New Contributor
dodgehilton
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎05-01-2009
0

Re: Discover Card

So the application on their webiste is only a soft pull? It looks like a hard pull to me.

Valued Contributor
JM-AM
Posts: 3,303
Registered: ‎06-09-2010
0

Re: Discover Card


dodgehilton wrote:

So the application on their webiste is only a soft pull? It looks like a hard pull to me.


I didn't say application, i said they have a pre-approval on their site which states it will not affect your credit.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
New Contributor
dodgehilton
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎05-01-2009
0

Re: Discover Card

No pre-approved offers for me. I guess I'll wait to apply until my score goes up some more. I've noticed that most of the people who have this card or the AMEX card have higher EQ and Tu scores than I do. I'll wait until EQ and TU update their files with my corrected creditor information, which will remove a derogatory report concerning a 180+ day late payment (the account was in deferment but incorrectly reported as being late), and after I see what the score goes up to I'll decide on it then.

 

Thanks for the info.

Frequent Contributor
CreditMuppet
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎08-05-2011
0

Re: Discover Card

[ Edited ]

dodgehilton wrote:

No pre-approved offers for me. I guess I'll wait to apply until my score goes up some more. I've noticed that most of the people who have this card or the AMEX card have higher EQ and Tu scores than I do. I'll wait until EQ and TU update their files with my corrected creditor information, which will remove a derogatory report concerning a 180+ day late payment (the account was in deferment but incorrectly reported as being late), and after I see what the score goes up to I'll decide on it then.

 

Thanks for the info.


What are your current scores and where did you get them?  What kind of public record?

 


 


Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Smug
Posts: 961
Registered: ‎12-21-2010
0

Re: Discover Card

I was ot Pre approved for anything but apped and got my zync.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Super Contributor
CS800
Posts: 6,548
Registered: ‎04-07-2008
0

Re: Discover Card

With AMEX I didnt have any offers. i applied and got an instant approval for a Zync . Goes to tell you that these pre-approval don't always work.

 

 




Established Contributor
Smug
Posts: 961
Registered: ‎12-21-2010
0

Re: Discover Card

Also with discover...
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Regular Contributor
unlucky_hove
Posts: 148
Registered: ‎05-21-2010
0

Re: Discover Card

I recently got approved for a Discover More with a satisfied judgement showing, and a 6 year old CO. I  didnt get a Pre-approval from the site either, i just bit the bullet (a few times :smileyvery-happy:). EQ 668, TU 667


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+