Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card

Does anyone know what my numbers should be at for Discover Card to take a look at me?  And how forgiving are they?

I received an offer in the card for 3.99% until 2/11 for balance transfers, 0% until 11/09 for purchases, no annual fee, etc.,etc.

However, a friend had a card with Discover years ago and had me as a user - it went bad and I eventually made a deal with them and paid it, but at a reduced price - they charged off the rest.  Will that hurt me now?  That's probably been 5 to 6 years ago?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card

If your current scores are under 600 I'm afraid your not going to make the cut with Discover. They really want to see 700ish scores. Discover is one of the more sticklish issuers out there.

Your past situation with them is very unclear to me. Were you an AU or a joint holder. If you were an AU you had no obligation to pay the account (legally that is - you may have had a moral obligation if you made the charges). How does this CL appear on your CBR?

Message 2 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Discover pulled TU for me in Virginia. I applied with them with a TU FICO of 682 and they denied me. I applied again a couple months later with a 692 and got approved.

As the previous poster stated, Discover is a pretty prime lender, and likes to see scores >= 700. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 11
Gnut
Established Member

I have gotten pre approval offers from discover for about 4 months now and on monday I decided to go ahead and apply. It was instantly approved and I should receive it in the mail today or by early next week. I think if you have a pre approval offer you will likely be accepted as they softed me before they even sent me the pre approvals. I just got the fico quarterly monitoring service and my score is 703 on TU but dont know my scores for the other cra's. I dont think they pulled TU for me as I havent received any alerts. I live in GA by the way.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

sad for me my TU yesterday was 716 and seamiles denied me because I only have 2 accounts on my reports and 2 years old age.

2 weeks ago, one account reported me late 60days I disputed they verified I was not my score went to 716. today they report late again my score droppred to 606 crying.........

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, my current scores shouldn't be that low now.  They should be mid-to-mid-high 600's.  I bought a house last July, paid never late on any bills ever again since July 2005.  I hit the 600 club about 8 months ago - I don't want to run the numbers right now, I"m afraid if they aren't as high as I think they should be, I'll be very, very disappointed.  I'm not going to run them, unless someone thinks I might be able to get this card - doesn't sound like it though.

On the previous Discover card, I don't know how - but I was only an AU and they reported it to the CCC's.  It was my card, I had to pay it, though like you said, I had no legal obligation to do so, but they sure were making the collection calls to me just as bad as they were to her.  Anywho, we came to a settlement agreement and I paid it as agreed in one lump sum, they charged off the rest.

Thanks for the replies =)

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually applied 04/10/2009 and my scores at the time were TU 695 EQ 707 and they approved me. They pulled EQ on me and im in Miami.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW !!! - I just ran my TU score and it jumped up to 654 - not sure about Equifax - it encountered an error.

I think I'll wait a few more months to get the Discover Card.  I really want to transfer balances and make one monthly payment, but I don't think I could get a card that has enough of a CL to do that, so I'll just wait awhile.

Message Edited by keeanah on 04-27-2009 12:49 AM
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure. I always thought you needed scores of 680+ for them, but I might be wrong. Perhaps, someone else knows more.
Message 9 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

i received a preapp and applied in the 680s.  they pulled TU hard and EQ soft, i'm in ny. 

i may try so long as at v. least 650 plus (with a preapp) although it's probably a 50-50 shot at 650ish...i doubt i'd go for it under 680 ish w/o a preapproval YMMV. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.