Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card

Did discover always have a pre qualifer site, or is it something new? I just tried and they did not have any offers for me, but I never knew they had that.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover Card

Don't know if it's always been there, but here's the link for anyone interested: Discover pre-approved offers: https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/chooseMyOffer/findMyOffer

I tried under both my last names (the joy of name changes), and I wasn't on their radar under either name, oh well.

Definitely a soft inq, by the way. They clarify that all over the page, and you only enter first name, last name, last four of SSN, and planned usage.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
superjeep
Valued Member

Ok.  Was just browsing posts and came upon this one.  I didn't know anything about this site but just took a look and, oddly enough, was recently denied two cards that it just said I was pre-approved for, of course.  That makes sense :/

Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@superjeep wrote:

Ok.  Was just browsing posts and came upon this one.  I didn't know anything about this site but just took a look and, oddly enough, was recently denied two cards that it just said I was pre-approved for, of course.  That makes sense :/

lol (sorry for the denials, though)

I hope that those who believe that pre-approvals mean that you're definitely going to be approved remember your post.

Most preapprovals result from banks buying the demographics (name, address, etc) of those whose credit reports match a very general set of guidelines --maybe a combo of a certain FICO score range + no lates within two years + at least two years' worth of history (I'm completely making these up as an example.) So someone's name can pop up as part of this group of names, but when they apply, there's something else on their reports that results in a thumbs down.

It's sort of like a Hollywood casting call: We're looking for men and women between the ages of 25 and 35, at least 6' for men and 5'9" for women, slender, able to ride a horse. Umpty-billion hopefuls turn up, and the casting people pick the ones they actually want.

When you look at a full Equifax report, which includes the prefixes used to indicate the right to access reports, you'll see some with PRM- (for promotional.) These are softs that don't see the whole report, just your contact info. These are what are blocked when you opt out, btw.

300iC62FC3A686CD24C3

306iF83611DF2B9514C1

edit: pesky images...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
tray
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Don't know if it's always been there, but here's the link for anyone interested: Discover pre-approved offers: https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/chooseMyOffer/findMyOffer

I tried under both my last names (the joy of name changes), and I wasn't on their radar under either name, oh well.

Definitely a soft inq, by the way. They clarify that all over the page, and you only enter first name, last name, last four of SSN, and planned usage.

I tried this website also, no preapproval offers stating comment since we could not find you in our records, is this website just for current Discover cardholder members

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@tray wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I tried this website also, no preapproval offers stating comment since we could not find you in our records, is this website just for current Discover cardholder members

I'm a current card holder and they couldn't find me either:

Since we couldn't find you in our records, we are unable to provide you with pre-approved offers. But you may still apply for any offer you choose below.

Maybe they purchase lists from somewhere and give preapprovals off that list. BTW, I'm not looking for another Discover (I guess you can't have two?), but was curious if they knew me.

Message 6 of 11
voidman
Established Contributor

It looks like the capital one preapproval site.

It only shows the pre-approved cards thats that they have in their database for you. Discover has been sending out pre-approvals to me quite heavily and so I expected to find on there.

I am pre-approved for escape card. $60 AF, no Thank you.Plus other offers like Miles and More.

I don't think they soft you or check your credit status while showing you your pre-approvals.

-void
Message 7 of 11
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

Speaking of discover, the commercials regarding overseas reps are hilarious, true, and appear to be effective at the communication of the overall message. To have a US rep is invaluable than being shipped to an overseas call center.

Starting Score: TU: ?-- EQ: ?--EX 560 (8-08)
Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)
Goal Score: TU: 750--EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
voidman
Established Contributor

so far overseas or local reps have been helpful to me, both try to solve the problem as much as they can.

the problem with overseas rep is that they usually have less rights do stuff with your/our account.

-void
Message 9 of 11
nickbrodie
Established Member

Agreed.  Their shortfall tends to be lack of access / approval authority.

TU Starting Score (09/23/10): 682 | EQ Starting Score (09/23/10): 697
TU Current Score (10/16/2010): 721 | EQ Current Score (10/16/2010): 735
TU & EQ Goal Score: 761

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.