Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Cashback Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Cashback Rewards

Restaurant gc's as needed for me. Currently banking about $600 in Discover cb, hoping in vain for a killer clearance deal like they had a few years back with $40 Shell gc's for $20. I know, fat chance.

As for travel gc's, I wouldn't use them because it could make dispute resolution more difficult as well as insurance - trip cancellation, lost luggage, ad&d, etc.

I've looked at using Discover's dedicated TA to redeem cash back, but the problem is every time I've found that I can get a much better deal, even considering the bonus redemption, by going through a different TA.

Chris.
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:
I only specifically redeemed for LL Bean because I had a purchase in mind. I'll probably bank rewards for awhile until I either decide to redeem for restaurant gift card(s) or end up using it on statement credit. The gift card discount is often so great that using one for a future purchase more than makes up for not using Discover for it.

This is the key for me.  If I know in advance I'll be buying stuff at one of the places with a gift card option, then I'll use the gift card option.  Otherwise, I deposit into my checkings account for flexibility's sake (and potentially higher returns if it's then transferred to an IRA or something similar).

I would recommend making sure the gift cards are the best deal first though.  For example, even though $45 for $50 at Barnes&Noble is 10% back, I can still get 5% back with SM.  However, I don't have anything higher than 2% back for shopping at TJ Maxx, so it'd be a better use of my rewards to buy their gift card.  Department stores are another area where redeeming for gift cards may not be the best option: if you buy online at Macy's with Discover right now you have a potential for 30% off, so buying a Macy's gift card would actually be a significantly worse deal.

Exactly. 

So would redeeming from restaurants be good as we have the AARP?... if it was 45 for 50?

Message 22 of 26
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:
I only specifically redeemed for LL Bean because I had a purchase in mind. I'll probably bank rewards for awhile until I either decide to redeem for restaurant gift card(s) or end up using it on statement credit. The gift card discount is often so great that using one for a future purchase more than makes up for not using Discover for it.

This is the key for me.  If I know in advance I'll be buying stuff at one of the places with a gift card option, then I'll use the gift card option.  Otherwise, I deposit into my checkings account for flexibility's sake (and potentially higher returns if it's then transferred to an IRA or something similar).

I would recommend making sure the gift cards are the best deal first though.  For example, even though $45 for $50 at Barnes&Noble is 10% back, I can still get 5% back with SM.  However, I don't have anything higher than 2% back for shopping at TJ Maxx, so it'd be a better use of my rewards to buy their gift card.  Department stores are another area where redeeming for gift cards may not be the best option: if you buy online at Macy's with Discover right now you have a potential for 30% off, so buying a Macy's gift card would actually be a significantly worse deal.

It's definitely a good idea to research. Getting $100 for only spending $80 was a no-brainer. I don't have a card that gives anything higher than 2% (Discover's double cashback) for dining unless Discover has dining as a category later, so I'll probably go for restaurant gift cards occasionally as there are a couple I go to at least a few times a year that are available.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

So would redeeming from restaurants be good as we have the AARP?... if it was 45 for 50?

It would depend on how much you have in rewards and if you have better options.  To take from my previous example, better to use on TJ Maxx than a restaurant since you'd be gaining an extra 8% back compared to your FNBO 2% VISA vs. 7% back compared to your AARP.

Message 24 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

It's definitely a good idea to research. Getting $100 for only spending $80 was a no-brainer. I don't have a card that gives anything higher than 2% (Discover's double cashback) for dining unless Discover has dining as a category later, so I'll probably go for restaurant gift cards occasionally as there are a couple I go to at least a few times a year that are available.

And always check giftcardgranny too!   So, for example, there are a few L L Bean cards for 16.5% off now.  Plus you get whatever credit card rewards when you purchase it, so with a 2% it's getting close to the 20% off.   For some other brands, you can do much better than 20%

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. 

It would depend on how much you have in rewards and if you have better options.  To take from my previous example, better to use on TJ Maxx than a restaurant since you'd be gaining an extra 8% back compared to your FNBO 2% VISA vs. 7% back compared to your AARP.

Ooooo good thinking there. Problem for me is that I don't know the future and where I'm going to shop. And usually when I do, I don't want to go to my Disc account to get a gift card, or I forget about the redemption advantage entirely. 

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.