Did you mean: 

Discover/Chase 5% CashBack July-Sept

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover/Chase 5% CashBack July-Sept

@bribro wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that in order for the credit card expense to be marked as gas you needed to use it at the pump and if you bought something inside the gas station store (in this case gas cards) that it would be coded as something other than gas due to the fact they sell food/magazines etc.

It depends on the merchant code of course. For what it's worth, Safeway codes their gas gift cards bought at the gas station the same way gas at the pump is coded.

If I am not mistaken - the rules for cash-back rewards require that the gas must be purchased at a "stand-alone" station, which is not a part of a larger store.

Or did you mean to say that Safeway Gift Cards, which are purchased inside of a "stand-alone" gas station, are coded as a "gas" purchase ??

Message 21 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that in order for the credit card expense to be marked as gas you needed to use it at the pump and if you bought something inside the gas station store (in this case gas cards) that it would be coded as something other than gas due to the fact they sell food/magazines etc.

It depends on the merchant code of course. For what it's worth, Safeway codes their gas gift cards bought at the gas station the same way gas at the pump is coded.

If I am not mistaken - the rules for cash-back rewards require that the gas must be purchased at a "stand-alone" station, which is not a part of a larger store.

Or did you mean to say that Safeway Gift Cards, which are purchased inside of a "stand-alone" gas station, are coded as a "gas" purchase ??

When I buy Safeway gas gift cards at a Safeway gas station (not inside the Safeway store), it's categorized as a gas station purchase. I'd highly recommend testing the merchant code with your gas station of choice before running $1,500 in charges through on what may not be a bonus category.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 22 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

LOL I have had a 7/11 show up as agas station and they did not even sell gas, but they sold beer LOL

Message 23 of 31
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Neither, I'll stick with my Sallie Mae card. Freedom is on permanant sock drawer status and Discover is 5% only usage but for the same thing I'll stick with Sallie Mae. 

Message 24 of 31
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@red259 wrote:

we had this conversation a while back regarding how codes gas purchases.  I believe some cards explicitly stated that the charge had to be 'automated fuel pump' labeled in order to get cash back bonus (i think PenFed was the creditor with that caveat).  What we discovered was that Amex doesn't specify that the charge has to be coded 'automated fuel pump'...but, it explicitly states that the additional cashback only applies to stand alone gas stations....where gas is the their primary business.  You don't get the cashback bonus if you purchase gas at a Kroger or Safeway gas station.

Now, this was Amex's rule....i didn't research Chase/Discover.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 25 of 31
justforting
Regular Contributor

If you will make gas purchase with more than $1500, you will use both cards.Smiley Very Happy

Last App: 09/17/2013 // No App Until: Mortgage (05/14?)

Cards in my wallet: AMEX BCE ($8000) // CITI AA VISA SIG ($5000) // CHASE FREEDOM ($3500) // DISCOVER IT ($1000) // CAP ONE NC ($1000) // WALMART DISCOVER ($1600)
Credit Scores: FICO TU08 (10/13): 739 // Credit Karma (10/13): 677??!! // Credit Sesame (10/13): 730
Next Goal: CSP (after mortgage probably...)
Message 26 of 31
Stralem
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

LOL I have had a 7/11 show up as agas station and they did not even sell gas, but they sold beer LOL

Dude, there's a 7 Eleven that I frequent that always shows up as a gas station on my statements. They've never sold gas there. They can't; It's in a stip mall!

Nothing like earning 5% back on a 1am beer and jerky purchase. Smiley Happy

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 27 of 31
john398
Senior Contributor

Same with mine in a strip center  in  Richardson TX, everytime I use the card there Chase sends me an alert saying my card was used at a gas station I freaked out the first time as I did not buy gas that day

Message 28 of 31
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Gah, I'm torn about this, but Chase gives me the higher limit, so it'll be my BOFA Cash Rewards+ Chase Freedom for Gas this upcoming quarter. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 29 of 31
databender

@frugalQ wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@red259 wrote:

we had this conversation a while back regarding how codes gas purchases.  I believe some cards explicitly stated that the charge had to be 'automated fuel pump' labeled in order to get cash back bonus (i think PenFed was the creditor with that caveat).  What we discovered was that Amex doesn't specify that the charge has to be coded 'automated fuel pump'...but, it explicitly states that the additional cashback only applies to stand alone gas stations....where gas is the their primary business.  You don't get the cashback bonus if you purchase gas at a Kroger or Safeway gas station.

Now, this was Amex's rule....i didn't research Chase/Discover.

Thanks for this information, I've been wondering what AmEx counts as gas stations. I always get gas at Costco ($0.20 cheaper than stand-alone's where I live) with the their TE Business AmEx for the 4% gas cashback, but my Civic doesn't need anywhere near $7000/year. There's a stand-alone station with a food mart near my house though, good to know that will count. Amazon claims to sell gift cards at Valero and 7-11, but my local one's don't sell them.

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa - 12/2011 - $2,100
AmEx Costco TrueEarnings Business - 02/2013 - $6,000
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa - 06/2013 - $3,000
Chase Freedom Visa - 07/2013 - $2,500
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.