Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Chat Fail

tag
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

Discover Chat Fail

Went to Chat with a Discover rep and asked specifically or generally what I could do to build the best possible relationship with Discover. I kept asking for anything that could be of help and specifically said I didn't want any committments or gaurentees, just an idea of how to best handle their card so I could make it my go to. This is seriously the response I got.

"Catherine: You can make your payments on time."

....crickets.

It seems like a snarky statement someone would say to someone who does not make on time payments but I always have. I kept waiting for anything else. Nothing.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Chat Fail

@hwturner17 wrote:

Went to Chat with a Discover rep and asked specifically or generally what I could do to build the best possible relationship with Discover. I kept asking for anything that could be of help and specifically said I didn't want any committments or gaurentees, just an idea of how to best handle their card so I could make it my go to. This is seriously the response I got.

....crickets.

It seems like a snarky statement someone would say to someone who does not make on time payments but I always have. I kept waiting for anything else. Nothing.

I'm not sure the CSRs would be savvy enough to give a good answer to that question.   I'd just search the Approval forums here and see what people getting Discover CLIs are doing. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 37
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@hwturner17 wrote:

....crickets.

Sorry but they can not give out info on how to get the card.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 37
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

I think that kind of is the best answer besides using there card which is logical... I wouldnt understand how to answer a question like that either... Its way to broad every card company wants you do 4 things ... Use there card ... Pay on time...Never default....Keep there card forever ...... I think those are the 4 most things that can build a great relationship with any credit card company idk how specific they can be in anything else...
CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 4 of 37
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

@hwturner17 wrote:

....crickets.

Wade, I already have the card. I wanted to know how I could make them my go to card. I didn't need the keys to the city and I'm ok with her not being able to speak above her pay grade but everyone's pay grade requires effort, she gave me zero effort. It was really akward actually.

Message 5 of 37
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Making payments on time is the biggest single percentage of your FICO score (35%), its sound advice to be applied to all your loans/cards.

Message 6 of 37
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@shaun2009 wrote:
I think that kind of is the best answer besides using there card which is logical... I wouldnt understand how to answer a question like that either... Its way to broad every card company wants you do 4 things ... Use there card ... Pay on time...Never default....Keep there card forever ...... I think those are the 4 most things that can build a great relationship with any credit card company idk how specific they can be in anything else...

Well paying on time and not defaulting are inclusive of each other. I get your point though. I was hoping the rep would at least show some effort. She didn't give me but one of the things your listed and it's her job. I actually work for a large company and use the same chat service as Discover. It's seriously the easiest job in the world and that is the response I got.

Message 7 of 37
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Making payments on time is the biggest single percentage of your FICO score (35%), its sound advice to be applied to all your loans/cards.

I was looking for info specifically on Discover, not FICO. That's why I went to the horses mouth, which I know was a mistake at this point.

As we've seen countless times on this site, FICO is not the end all be all with lenders. Utilization, use etc are important and that's what I was looking for

Message 8 of 37
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@hwturner17 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I was looking for info specifically on Discover, not FICO. That's why I went to the horses mouth, which I know was a mistake at this point.

As we've seen countless times on this site, FICO is not the end all be all with lenders. Utilization, use etc are important and that's what I was looking for

Ok, they cannot disclose to you what they are looking for, that would be a violation of company policy and quite possibly a viloation of company secrecy as it applies to scoring model... All a CSR will ever give you are generatlities like this.

Message 9 of 37
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@hwturner17 wrote:

@-Wade- wrote:

@hwturner17 wrote:

....crickets.

Wade, I already have the card. I wanted to know how I could make them my go to card. I didn't need the keys to the city and I'm ok with her not being able to speak above her pay grade but everyone's pay grade requires effort, she gave me zero effort. It was really akward actually.

oh ok sorry, Well it took me 14 months to get a SP CLI. All you can do is use the card and make payments like i did

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.