Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Chip and pin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Chip and pin

@lg8302ch wrote:

Discover has like most others US card issuers chip & signature and yes they are out. I have mine for a few months but unfortunately some designs are not working and this is the reason why some designs have been taken off the site again.  The plain color ones (blue, garnet, etc)  issued by CPI work great in Europe but  the nice designs issued by G&D unfortunately have a chip error and request to be swiped..lol.. that is a first because a chip card normally does not allow swipe and if you try comes back with the comment to enter chip. 

My CPI one fails at Walmart. Requested a new one online a couple of days ago so we'll see what happens.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next time I go to London, I will let them know that their terminals are broken and are magically accepting a Chip and Pin then.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Next time I go to London, I will let them know that their terminals are broken and are magically accepting a Chip and Pin then.

No one said the card won't be accepted.   You're still confused about the difference between the two.  The only time a PIN is required with the Discover card is at an ATM.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I am not confusing the two. I was at a restaurant, used my Discover card, and had to put in a pin at the terminal. I did not have a receipt to sign. It was not an ATM or a cash advance. The machine wouldn't even print a receipt for me to sign.
Message 14 of 23
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No, I am not confusing the two. I was at a restaurant, used my Discover card, and had to put in a pin at the terminal. I did not have a receipt to sign. It was not an ATM or a cash advance. The machine wouldn't even print a receipt for me to sign.

Given PIN for purchases isn't even in the CVM list, that would definitely be a misconfigured terminal. There are situations where terminals are allowed to prompt for an online PIN if they can't find a supported CVM, but those situations are ticket machines - and are going away because Visa is now requiring such terminals to support No CVM.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 15 of 23
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did Discover give you a PIN? Or were you able to choose one? 

Message 16 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Discover has like most others US card issuers chip & signature and yes they are out. I have mine for a few months but unfortunately some designs are not working and this is the reason why some designs have been taken off the site again.  The plain color ones (blue, garnet, etc)  issued by CPI work great in Europe but  the nice designs issued by G&D unfortunately have a chip error and request to be swiped..lol.. that is a first because a chip card normally does not allow swipe and if you try comes back with the comment to enter chip. 

My G&D card now works fine at Walmart, can you re-try in Europe? It seems it may have been a back-end issue. These designs are once again available to order...

You can swipe a chip card if the chip fails, although both cashiers and banks are to treat it as suspicious - and the recommended best practice is for banks to decline ALL "fallback" transactions. In practice, most don't - although they do apply stricter fraud detection than for even normal magstripe transactions.

I just did a test today where the terminal is set to read chip and magnetic stripe by inserting the card at the same slot. (not separate slot for magnetic stripes, the terminal does select the appropriate reading)  The card with the New York  and the Gerbera design issued by G&D completely failed twice. Entered the Garnet red card from CPI and that is smoothly processing. There is still an issue with my Discover chip cards issued by G&D Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

My CPI one fails at Walmart. Requested a new one online a couple of days ago so we'll see what happens.

Was the Walmart terminal open to read chip? For me it is just the oposite. D&G not readable but CPI smoothly processing overseas.. Smiley Happy  I now carry double Discover 1 CPI and 1 D&G and do my testing my way...hope this does not trigger fraud alerts with Discover or I will have to explain that I am testing their chip cards..lol

Message 18 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If the merchant terminal is set to PIN only ... quite often on mobile devices.. then yes it can be that US chip and signature cards  will require the pin instead of signature.  I had this happen with Barclays Arrival+ and BofA before with  grocery deliveries in Europe on a mobile device. They would not be able to process magnetic stripe cards at all.  But most of the terminals are set to accept chip with prio pin and if no pin with signature and if  no chip then swipe from magnetic stripe. Priorities are different in Europe but usually option 3 magnetic stripe and signature still work just fine.  Small receipts are normally printed similar to gas station receipts where you enter zip instead of pin. In Europe it is always pin and never zip as there is no AVS possible.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Was the Walmart terminal open to read chip? For me it is just the oposite. D&G not readable but CPI smoothly processing overseas.. Smiley Happy  I now carry double Discover 1 CPI and 1 D&G and do my testing my way...hope this does not trigger fraud alerts with Discover or I will have to explain that I am testing their chip cards..lol

New card is G&D and works fine in the chip slot at Walmart. Haven't tried overseas though.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.