Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Confirms no more Foriegn Transaction Fee

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Discover Confirms no more Foriegn Transaction Fee

Sent and recieved the following message from Discover using the Secure Message Account Center:

"Thank you for your recent message. I understand your concern about the foreign transaction fee. We want to be the most rewarding relationship you have with a financial services company, and I will be happy to answer your question.

We are pleased to inform you that, effective 11/06/11 we will no longer charge a Foreign Currency Fee on any international purchases made with your Discover Card. Additionally; we will no longer charge a Research Fee for any copies of billing statements or receipts that you request. If you have any questions or if we can be of any assistance, please call us at 1-800-347-2683. Thank you for choosing Discover card.

I appreciate your business and the time you have taken to contact me today. Thank you for choosing to use Discover Card and being a loyal Cardmember since 2010, we value and appreciate you. Thank you for taking the time to contact us today and I hope you have a good day.

Sincerely,

Malina

We appreciate your feedback. Please  to complete a short survey on your customer service experience today.

DISCOVER, CASHBACK BONUS and the other trademarks, logos and service marks used in this e-mail are the trademarks of Discover Financial Services or their respective third-party owners."

EDIT - Removed personal info.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Confirms no more Foriegn Transaction Fee

Whoa, this is huge for me.  I could get rid of one, or both, of my Cap One cards.  It's the only reason I was keeping them.  Now they just need to give out larger limits!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

This is good news that they are dropping the fee ! 

However I would hang on to a MC or Visa card due to the fact that Discover is not accepted widely outside the US ~ I think that a recent thread discussed this....

`

`

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 17
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

This is good news that they are dropping the fee ! 

However I would hang on to a MC or Visa card due to the fact that Discover is not accepted widely outside the US ~ I think that a recent thread discussed this....

Yes, it is mainly just accepted in US, Mexico, and Canada. Other places it works where they take Diner's Club, but that isn't very widespread.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats great! To bad the places it can be used is very limited Smiley Sad

When I was visiting Mexico, the only accepted card was AMEX and Visa. I never saw a sign for Dinner Card or even for Discover

Message 5 of 17
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Is it just for your card or did they make the policy change for all customers?

Message 6 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Is it just for your card or did they make the policy change for all customers?

Sounds like a new policy from the email response posted, I seriously doubt this type of fee based change is account specific but go ahead and place an inquiry if you want to double check and report back Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 17
barbaralee
Established Contributor

What foreign countries accept Discover?

Message 8 of 17
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

I do love my discover card but you shouldnt expect to use it as a primary credit card outside of the USA.  Discover is NOT an internationally recongnised payment network and very few places except Diner's which also is not very widespead.  Visa, MC and AMEX should be your primary payment cards when travelling outside of the states.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

Whoa, this is huge for me.  I could get rid of one, or both, of my Cap One cards.  It's the only reason I was keeping them.  Now they just need to give out larger limits!

I would not do that. Discover is hardly anywhere accepted abroad, besides Canada, Mexico and China.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.