Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Convenience Checks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Convenience Checks

I need some advice.  I need to pay for something, but I just found out they only take MC and VISA.  Had I known this earlier, I would not have paid off the two cards that they don't take.  Amex and Discover.  GRRR!

Anyway....if the terms aren't bad, is it ok to use those checks?  I would pay off the card by May.

I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and use the check or just wait until next year.  I'm trying to get certified for something.

IF I use the check, which is better.  Deposit it into my account OR write it directly to the company?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
favre_2_free
New Contributor

Re: Discover Convenience Checks

You deposit into your account to pay down your Visa or MC and then use one of those cards.....

Amex Gold, Capital One VentureOne & Platium Cards, AAA BoA Signature Visa, Barclays Airtran & Frontier Airlines Cards, Paypal MC, Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard and Chase Speedway Mastercard....and I FINALLY Welcome to Discover...thank you and have a great day!!!!
EX: 667 (8/6 Amex App) - EQ 700 - TU 697
Message 2 of 10
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Maybe you'd get a better reply if you shared the terms of your checks? Even at the same creditor, convenience check offers vary.

Provided you don't consider the interest/fees bad, I see no reason not to use them. Just keep in mind normally it's like a cash advance in the sense that interest starts to accrue immediately. It's rare to have a grace period on a convenience check transaction.

If your checks allow, I would probably make it payable to myself, deposit, and send my own personal check after the card one clears/posts. That way you can verify the check clears and properly posts before you spend the money. If something goes wrong, you would still have the money (if you waited to mail the other check) to immediately pay back the advance and stop things accruing.

Sometimes the offer doesn't apply if you write the check out to yourself, or it has different (usually worse) terms and fees -- make sure to read all the fine print, and keeps copies of all of it.

Message 3 of 10
tray
Valued Contributor

@favre_2_free wrote:

You deposit into your account to pay down your Visa or MC and then use one of those cards.....

Would you say deposit into your account is more like a cash advance from one of the convenience checks? Also would you think Discover would frown on doing this, just curious on this issue with convenience checks and depositing it into your own checking or savings account?

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the checks with me, but I'll look at them when I get home.  I am hoping I didn't throw them away like I do the others. ;-)

I guess my main concern is AA, so I am looking for feedback. 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked at the checks.  They are considered at cash advance with 23.99% APR plus the fee.  Yuck.  I guess the certification can wait.....

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Does the company except Paypal? you could use your Discover on there and it would be considered a Purchase Vs Cash Advance.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt it.  They are a non-profit. 

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

go to your online account with discover and click the button Balance Transfer and it will tell you if your account currently has any offers... if it did you could pay your visa the amount you need to charge for your certification.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm.  I might explore that.  However, i sucked it up and got a no interest loan from M-O-M. 

I will look at the offer, though.

Thanks for the tip!

@Creditaddict wrote:

go to your online account with discover and click the button Balance Transfer and it will tell you if your account currently has any offers... if it did you could pay your visa the amount you need to charge for your certification.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.