Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover @ Costco

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Discover @ Costco

I'm a Costco executive member and I'm asking if anybody knows if you get 2% back if purchasing Costco gift cards using a Discover card online.

Or is the 2% "earned" at the register when actually using the Costco Cash card?

Essentially, is it possible to get back 7% if using either Chase freedom or Discover during the rotating categories for warehouse cubs? 12% if using Discover during the 1st year match? 

Thanks!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover @ Costco

Every purchase at Costco, or costco.com except gas is counted toward the 2% reward for Executive membership. Credit card cashback is on the card issuers, not Costco.
Message 2 of 13
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Buy a low limit GC and check your charges to see how it's being coded.  If you see warehouse listed then you're golden.

After it posts you can click on it and see something like this:

4-17-2017 4-12-19 PM.jpg

Message 3 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Buy a low limit GC and check your charges to see how it's being coded.  If you see warehouse listed then you're golden.

After it posts you can click on it and see something like this:

4-17-2017 4-12-19 PM.jpg

Cool! 😎

I will have to run this small test. I think smallest amount available at Costco is $25 bucks. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 4 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@nrm wrote:
Credit card cashback is on the card issuers, not Costco.

I understand cash back is on the banks, not Costco. 

But, consider this,  Getting 5% cash back from Discover, and 10% for the first year, essentially renders the Costco Citi Visa useless when it comes to the 2% Citi is offering. The 5%-10% would be in addition to the 2% for the Costco Executive.

Message 5 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@nrm wrote:
Every purchase at Costco, or costco.com except gas is counted toward the 2% reward for Executive membership. 

So back to my original question, does the 2% executive apply at the time of Costco Cash Card purchase, or At the time of using the cash card at the register? 

This is important because if the 2% applies when you purchase the cash card online and receive the 2%, then turn around and use it for Costco gas, your essentially getting your 2% FOR gas!

If using Discover, your cash back totals 12% the first year.  

If the 2% is applied when you actually use the Cash Card at the register and/or gas pumps, then you won't get 2% for gas. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP -

I've done this before you do earn the 2% Executive on the initial GiftCard purchase, however Giftcard redemption DOES NOT earn any rewards, because if you have a CostcoCash Card you do not need to provide your Costco Card, additionally should you gift the CostcoCash Card to non-members they may use it to enter and make purchases at Costco Warehouse locations without being a member, kind of a loophole to membership. So yes you could get 12% on Costco Gas for 3 months if you're in your first year with Discover. Keep in mind the Discover offer is only valid until 6/30/17.
Message 7 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OP -

I've done this before you do earn the 2% Executive on the initial GiftCard purchase, however Giftcard redemption DOES NOT earn any rewards, because if you have a CostcoCash Card you do not need to provide your Costco Card, additionally should you gift the CostcoCash Card to non-members they may use it to enter and make purchases at Costco Warehouse locations without being a member, kind of a loophole to membership. So yes you could get 12% on Costco Gas for 3 months if you're in your first year with Discover. Keep in mind the Discover offer is only valid until 6/30/17.

Fantastic!! Thanks Matt for your help. This is what I was wanting to hear. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I could help Smiley Happy I've seen a lot of people just buy them during the 5-10% period (some are executives making it effectively 7-12%) and just stock up on Costco Giftcards then use them for the whole year.

You can use them on pretty much anything at Costco including other giftcards. We use them to buy Buca Di Beppo Giftcards $100 worth for only $74.99 plus the 10% From Discover makes it $67.50! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 13
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Glad I could help Smiley Happy We use them to buy Buca Di Beppo Giftcards $100 worth for only $74.99 plus the 10% From Discover makes it $67.50! Smiley Happy

Now THAT'S stretching your dining dollar! 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.