Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Increase question....

tag
jbrickbm
New Contributor

Discover Credit Increase question....

I've had my DiscoverIT since May 2013. It has a $3000 credit line.  Ive built up close to $250 in rewards on it.  I've spent alot of money on, im not quite sure if there's a way that I can look up how much money i've ran through it.  Its been near the max $3000 mark for 6 months now.  I would make a large payment then use it again to the max.  I've been wanting to call and ask for an increase but have read that I would probably not be granted it because of such high utilization on the account.  Now that I've paid the account down in full and the payment posted to Discover yesterday, would it be fine to call for an increase today?  Or should I give it some extra time?  Also I heard Discover does a soft pull, is that accurate?  Would asking for a 10k limit be asking to much consider I only have 3k now? Thanks in advance.

EQ MyFico : 738- 05/28/13TU Walmart: 680- 06/13TU CreditKarma 713- 06/13EX CreditSesame 706- 06/13
Discover IT$3,000, CapitalOne-Rewards$1400, CapitalOne-Rewards2$1000 , BestBuy$600, Orchard Bank$300, Walmart$150

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Credit Increase question....

You can log into your account and request a cli, and it will tell you if you need a hp or sp, but I would let that 0 balance report first. What is your overall util? What are your fico scores?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you can call every 3 statements to ask for a sp CLI.

Message 3 of 7
Aaroncl27
Established Member

An increase of that size would be a HP. I asked to double mine and they said it would take a hard pull. And that was with the CLI button. When I hit cancel however, it still sent through the application. So I had to go to the chat and tell them to cancel it because I don't want another HP. It'll tell you before you submit it whether itll be a HP or SP but be careful cause the button is glitchy.

SCORES AS OF 7/20/15 TU: 761 EQ: 768 EX: 770

10000              6000              5000               5000               4400              3750              2000               1700
Message 4 of 7
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@Aaroncl27 wrote:

An increase of that size would be a HP. I asked to double mine and they said it would take a hard pull. And that was with the CLI button. When I hit cancel however, it still sent through the application. So I had to go to the chat and tell them to cancel it because I don't want another HP. It'll tell you before you submit it whether itll be a HP or SP but be careful cause the button is glitchy.

I have had a 2.5x CLI without a request on my Discover Escape. I recommend checking online to see what they say.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 5 of 7
jbrickbm
New Contributor

I have about 12,000 open, right now reporting I have about $5000 reporting.  It looks like my Discover card wont report the $0balance until March4th. After that I will only have about $2k  reporting. 

I just clicked the link for a CLI on the Discover site and it immediatly prompted me to call 1800discover.

EQ MyFico : 738- 05/28/13TU Walmart: 680- 06/13TU CreditKarma 713- 06/13EX CreditSesame 706- 06/13
Discover IT$3,000, CapitalOne-Rewards$1400, CapitalOne-Rewards2$1000 , BestBuy$600, Orchard Bank$300, Walmart$150

Message 6 of 7
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@jbrickbm wrote:

I have about 12,000 open, right now reporting I have about $5000 reporting.  It looks like my Discover card wont report the $0balance until March4th. After that I will only have about $2k  reporting. 

I just clicked the link for a CLI on the Discover site and it immediatly prompted me to call 1800discover.

Perfect, so once the 2k and 0 balances report, then call 'em. Your utilization is high to be getting cli.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.