Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Limits

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Discover Credit Limits

I read all the time about the conservative credit limits that Discover gives it's card holders.  I'm just curious what the largest credit limit you've seen with these cards?  I saw on "who gave me credit" that the largest line was around $7500 and that's with individuals earning 6 figures.  Not interested in getting this card, just curious about experiences with this card.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Credit Limits

@improvingmycredit wrote:

I read all the time about the conservative credit limits that Discover gives it's card holders.  I'm just curious what the largest credit limit you've seen with these cards?  I saw on "who gave me credit" that the largest line was around $7500 and that's with individuals earning 6 figures.  Not interested in getting this card, just curious about experiences with this card.

Are you talking about initial CL's or what the CL has become since the account was opened? My CL with Discover is $13,300 but I don't remember what it started at when opened in 10/2003.

Also for the first 6 years or so they gave me annual automatic CLI's that averaged about $1,100-$1,300 but I've received no CLI's for the last 3 years.

BTW I don't earn anywhere near 6 figures. Wish I did.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
DonDraper
Established Member

Mine is $9,300. I know they go WAY higher than that. 

Message 3 of 9
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Mine started in Dec at 6500. I asked if they could raise it to 10k but they could only go to 7500 if I did a large balance transfer.  Did a small one, no CLI. They said probably in 6 months I'd get a CLI.

[EDIT] Almost forgot. I always put less than my gross on apps, so they all know I make at least in the 60's.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I hope to get at least 1K when I go for them new years day 2013!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 9
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone.  $13,300 and $9000 are nice limits indeed. 

LS- I wish you luck with your Discover app when you apply.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

They started me with $6500 about 2.5 months ago. Have used it a lot and PIF. Hopefully i get a CLI on the 6 months mark.

Message 7 of 9
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I'll be honest I would not expect much from Discover. I have posted before about them.

They are imposssible. They are TOO conservative. Don't waste any inquiry with them,

I honestly don't see the benefits since it is not taken everywhere and their rewards are

capped and have a catch. Their customer service is in the US, thats about what I can

say positive about them.

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Back in like 2006 I was added as joint with my mom and she had $9600 I think when I was added and she had never asked for CLI, I quickly started asking for them very frequently and got it up to $16k in a matter of like 6 months but then at some point she closed thinking she had to much credit and didn't want it.... she went back about a year later and opened a new one from a BT offer in mail and was only given $10k... Should have kept the old one! lol

I think right after the credit crash they had set a limit of 15k without further income verification but I don't think that is still a rule... I have heard of people having like $28 but that was LONG ago before any credit crunch and they had been card holders for VERY long time.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.