Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Line - How High?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Credit Line - How High?

I helped my Dad apply for a Discover It card in December 2014. He had no credit cards at the time and hadn't had any for years.

He was approved for $12,500. A month later in January his credit limit was increased to $15,000. 6 months later in July 2015 he got another increase to $21,000. 

Fast forward only two months later and to my surprise his credit limit is now $27,000.

He has had this card less than 10 months and has over doubled his limit, These have all been soft pull CLIs, either automatic or requested online. I have seen where limits of over $25k on cards can raise suspicions to lenders and I don't want to put him through any type of income verification or AA.

Does anyone know the likelihood of Discover doing such a thing? This is his only credit card and I'd like to ensure it stays in good standing for him.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Credit Line - How High?

27.5k here approved 8k 4/2014 all soft pull increases.  I'd say you're fine.  Also only having one card is a terrible idea for many reasons.  Get him another card asap

Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-IT-high-credit-limits/td-p/2424333

Full thread of Discover limit data 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! If he gets to $30k, I think I will recommend that we no longer ask for CLIs.

I'm not sure I could convince him of another card. He's only ever had two previous credit cards - both with Sears. 

One opened in 1990 and closed in 2005 with a limit of $15k, and one opened in 1993 and closed in 2007 with a limit of $5.3k. Both closed at consumer's request.

12% Utilization, 100% payment history, 6 years AAoA, 2 inquiries, and only 11 total accounts (5 open/6 closed). I'm afraid that opening anything new for him would tank his AAoA severely.

His CK FAKO  is usually 815, and his Discover FICO is typically 825 on his statements.

Message 4 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

27.5k here approved 8k 4/2014 all soft pull increases.  I'd say you're fine.  Also only having one card is a terrible idea for many reasons.  Get him another card asap

+1 God forbids Disco shuts him down and leaving him high and dry. get another card asap. thats why we like diversity here. shut me down i still have options. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was recently raised to $19,500 from $15,500. Single $4,000 increase after doing a minibonus for $200 bonus CB to the tune of $6,000 over 4 months.

Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info! If he gets to $30k, I think I will recommend that we no longer ask for CLIs.

I'm not sure I could convince him of another card. He's only ever had two previous credit cards - both with Sears. 

One opened in 1990 and closed in 2005 with a limit of $15k, and one opened in 1993 and closed in 2007 with a limit of $5.3k. Both closed at consumer's request.

12% Utilization, 100% payment history, 6 years AAoA, 2 inquiries, and only 11 total accounts (5 open/6 closed). I'm afraid that opening anything new for him would tank his AAoA severely.

His CK FAKO  is usually 815, and his Discover FICO is typically 825 on his statements.

If he's conservative financially, not interested in rewards etc, I would suggest that he apply for the Barclays Ring card... very low fees and interest rates.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If he's conservative financially, not interested in rewards etc, I would suggest that he apply for the Barclays Ring card... very low fees and interest rates.

And if he is conservative with inquiries he could 100% benefit from using that barclays inquiry and also snag a SallieMae card to get 5% cash back every month on $250 in groceres and gas, plus 5% on 750/month at amazon and book stores.

Or grab something else with a bonus like Arrival plus, frontier, hawaiian, upromise, etc!!!

With the frequency of discover handing out great offers for balance transfers..... one can really work up some magic with the Ring/Discover combo.  Say later down the road you guys have a balance on the discover. "Debt Shuffle" it to the ring, then pay the ring off with a bt offer from disco. It is a big money saver!

Message 9 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

Even if he opens 4 more cards it will not tank his AAoA. at 6 years and with accounts that old. nothing will tank it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.