Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Customer Service

tag
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

Discover Customer Service

A couple of days ago I applied for the Discover IT card and was denied. I called to recon and was told I was denied because of a charge off/collection account. I asked if I could speak with someone who could manually review my file since the account in question falls off in only a few months. I was told that Discover doesn't do manual reviews because "it's not fair lending practices". I let her know that I knew this wasn't true, that I don't appreciate being lied to, and she then threatened to hang up on me.

She became very agitated and transferred me to a supervisor shortly after. I let him know I didn't appreciate being lied to, that this was my first experience with Discover and it wasn't a good one.

Fast forward to today, my phone rings and I see on the caller ID that it's Discover. I was told that once calls reach a supervisors desk, the audio is reviewed later on by another supervisor. I was offered a SINCERE apology (I'm pretty good at telling the difference) and told the representitive I initially spoke with would be reprimanded for the way she handled the call. The woman on the phone repeatedly stated that the representitve was in the wrong and that "of course we manually review credit files". She even took the time to point out an error in my Equifax file that I hadn't noticed, she spent the next 15 minutes going over the error with me and giving me her advice on what to do about it. The call lasted probably 20-30 minutes and completely changed my perspective of how Discover does business. After my initial call let's just say I wasn't planning on doing business with them any time soon, but the fact that they called me two days later after reviewing the audio of my call showed me a lot. I figured I'd post this here because I feel like this is something Discover should be given credit for. So many corporations these days treat their customers horribly, I can definitely see myself giving Discover my business at some point in the future because of their response to this issue.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
uswala
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Customer Service

I have talked to CSRs of a lot of different lenders and have found Discover to be best among them. 

I hope they have now put you application for manual review. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

I agree that erroneous information was supplied.  However, sounds more like an inexperienced representative than a bald face lie. With listed scores, Discover is not going to be your best bet.  When it comes to customer service, Discover is the cream of the crop.  All customer service reps appear to be native English speakers, based in the United States and calls are answered very quickly. 

Message 3 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

So are they going to reconsider the app?
Message 4 of 11
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

She said at this time they can't overturn the decision, but that's understandable. When I applied I didn't expect to get approved, I knew Discover wasn't an easy approval. My frustration during my first call wasn't because of the denial it was over being lied to. I HATE being lied to, it was almost as if the rep wasn't taking me seriously because I got denied, like she could lie to me and I wouldn't be smart enough to figure it out.

The woman who called today sounded very agitated with the representative,  I even placed some of the blame on myself and said I can often times be a bit blunt and that may have escalated things. She wasn't having any of it though, she refused to place blame on me and repeated multiple times that Discover doesn't treat their customers, or potential customers, this way and that the rep is going to be disciplined over this.

Anyway, just wanted to point this out because customer service these days for the most part is pure garbage, it's nice to see a company that seems to take it more seriously.

Message 5 of 11
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@akula wrote:

I agree that erroneous was supplied.  However, sounds more like an inexperienced representative than a bald face lie. With listed scores, Discover is not going to be your best bet.  When it comes to customer service, Discover is the cream of the crop.  All customer service reps appear to be native English speakers, based in the United States and calls are answered very quickly. 

The part of the call that really seemed to anger the supervisor was when the rep threatened to hang up on me. Inexperienced or not that's clearly not something a top quality company will tolerate, especially when the rep is the one in the wrong.

I don't get the sense the rep was inexperienced though, I could be wrong but it just sounded like she didn't like me questioning her response to my question.

Message 6 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It's a nice gesture for them to acknowledge a customer service mis-step. It would have been nicer if they would reconsider - especially since the Supervisor said they do it. I can tell they have a different type of training, so they're usually pretty upbeat and bubbly.
Message 7 of 11
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Sometimes we can react in a way that is not normally who we are, but I know what you mean when you say how someone lieing to you can hit a sore spot. I'm glad to hear that although Discover didn't reverse their decision someone there 'listened' to what you and gave it value and gave you a personalized approach and most of all 'listened' let's face it with most other companies these types of situations the call is simply dropped and forgotten. 

Message 8 of 11
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I may have misunderstood but I think OP said the rep/supervisor did recon for him and outlined the issues holding the approval back.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 9 of 11
nyancat
Established Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

A couple of days ago I applied for the Discover IT card and was denied. I called to recon and was told I was denied because of a charge off/collection account. I asked if I could speak with someone who could manually review my file since the account in question falls off in only a few months. I was told that Discover doesn't do manual reviews because "it's not fair lending practices". I let her know that I knew this wasn't true, that I don't appreciate being lied to, and she then threatened to hang up on me.

She became very agitated and transferred me to a supervisor shortly after. I let him know I didn't appreciate being lied to, that this was my first experience with Discover and it wasn't a good one.

Fast forward to today, my phone rings and I see on the caller ID that it's Discover. I was told that once calls reach a supervisors desk, the audio is reviewed later on by another supervisor. I was offered a SINCERE apology (I'm pretty good at telling the difference) and told the representitive I initially spoke with would be reprimanded for the way she handled the call. The woman on the phone repeatedly stated that the representitve was in the wrong and that "of course we manually review credit files". She even took the time to point out an error in my Equifax file that I hadn't noticed, she spent the next 15 minutes going over the error with me and giving me her advice on what to do about it. The call lasted probably 20-30 minutes and completely changed my perspective of how Discover does business. After my initial call let's just say I wasn't planning on doing business with them any time soon, but the fact that they called me two days later after reviewing the audio of my call showed me a lot. I figured I'd post this here because I feel like this is something Discover should be given credit for. So many corporations these days treat their customers horribly, I can definitely see myself giving Discover my business at some point in the future because of their response to this issue.

Of course, none of that changes that Discover's front line customer service is awful. Yes, I'm glad they apologised. However, do not think it an isolated incident, I've had a couple rude Discover reps as well... They're inconsistient, at best. 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.