Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Denial due to Bankruptcy

tag
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

Discover Denial due to Bankruptcy

Hi all just joined the forum after looking around on here for sometime.  I apped for a Discover IT card, and was denied, but asked to have a Joint applicant.  I called and also just received my denial letter, and it stays due to bankruptcy.  I filed for bankruptcy in 2006 and it was discharged in 2006, it will be exactly 8 years I filed in July.  I've been able to establish credit since then having numberous other accounts.  Is there a way that I should dispute the bankruptcy since it's been 8 years, or should I see about asking a koint applicant? 

Gardening since 06/01/2016

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Denial due to Bankruptcy

Seems to me like the BK might be a reason and only that.  I was approved 3 years out of BK, so its hard to believe that after 8 years that was the denial reason.  Have you looked at your reports yourself?  Is there a chance something else on their might be spooking Discover?

@waynes1982 wrote:

Hi all just joined the forum after looking around on here for sometime.  I apped for a Discover IT card, and was denied, but asked to have a Joint applicant.  I called and also just received my denial letter, and it stays due to bankruptcy.  I filed for bankruptcy in 2006 and it was discharged in 2006, it will be exactly 8 years I filed in July.  I've been able to establish credit since then having numberous other accounts.  Is there a way that I should dispute the bankruptcy since it's been 8 years, or should I see about asking a koint applicant? 

Message 2 of 55
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@waynes1982 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  If your bankruptcy is yours you you can't dispute and accurate reporting item.  I am not a big fan of joint applicants but if you want to apply for discover and you have a person who will apply with you that seems to be logical choice

Message 3 of 55
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

not dispute it, but see if there is any chance to have it come off my report since they say BK can stay on for up to 10 years. 

Message 4 of 55
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@waynes1982 wrote:

not dispute it, but see if there is any chance to have it come off my report since they say BK can stay on for up to 10 years. 

You can ask the three credit reporting agencies for early exclusion but I highly doubt that they will delete the bankruptcy that should be on your credit report for the next two years

Message 5 of 55
waynes1982
Frequent Contributor

I just figured when they say up to 10 years, that it can fall off sooner then the 10 year mark.  I'm debating on a joint application, because I don't want to ask a family member to help me get another credit card.  If it was a loan that's different, but for a credit card, IDK seems weird to ask someone.

Message 6 of 55
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@waynes1982 wrote:

I just figured when they say up to 10 years, that it can fall off sooner then the 10 year mark.  I'm debating on a joint application, because I don't want to ask a family member to help me get another credit card.  If it was a loan that's different, but for a credit card, IDK seems weird to ask someone.

If you reestablished your credit with other credit cards you can always try again with Discover in a year.  Seems like the older your bankruptcy is the easier it will be for approval.   I agree I would not ask a family  member either be a joint applicant

do you mind sharing your credit profile?

Message 7 of 55
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I thought if someone had a bankruptcy it'd be to stay on your report for 7 years? So it's 10 years. 

Message 8 of 55
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Pat94108 wrote:

I thought if someone had a bankruptcy it'd be to stay on your report for 7 years? So it's 10 years. 

Its stated as 7-10 years not sure the reasoning for that since from what I hear its always 10 years.

Message 9 of 55
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Pat94108 wrote:

Chapter 13's that are  discharged stay on for seven years; Chapter 7 stay on for 10 years- they changed the law about  about eight years ago

Edit: dismissed Ch 13's stay on 10 years

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.