Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Denied CLI

tag
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Discover Denied CLI

My account hit the 6 months mark and I went for the luv button. Unfortunately, they denied the request stating that there was insufficient history. Now, I've used the card sparingly and only ran about $2000 through it and PIF. What gives? Amex instantly approved me for a large increase on day 61, and I've seen A LOT of love from US Bank getting increases, product changes, and lowered rates. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Denied CLI

I'm not quite sure what their criteria is either. I'm having hit and miss luck with CLIs.  Discover bumped me from 2k to 3k, and Amex hasn't budget from 1k.  Everyone's got a different set of circumstances in their credit profile, or it might be possible that Amex "remembers" the card I defaulted on with them 18-20 years ago and is taking baby steps.  Other lenders have been quite generous. Cap One, Lowes, Pottery Barn.

But back to Discover, they denied me two or three times before finally bumping me $1K.  I suspect next round I'll have better luck. Scores have come up and utilization has come down, and it only gets brighter from here.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover can be a fickle lot but when they finally open up they give a lot. Your SL could have a play in it, if your SL was high enough to cover how you been using it, getitng a CLI can be tough at times especially reading through other denials on the board

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think in my case they're on to me. I want it to be my go-to card while it's still in the first year, so I can max out those double cash-back rewards.  Right now the limit's too low to be my go-to card, it's too much of a hassle to cycle through more than once during a statement period. So I run it up close to the limit and PIF, and the excess gets me Hilton points on my Amex or cashback on one of my other reward cards.  If they doubled my limit, it'd be a strong contender for primary go-to card.

From my conversations with the CSRs, it seems they don't "do" a SP when you request a CLI, they look at what they have on file, which may be (I'm guessing here) the monthly SP they do to get the free FICO score they put on the statement. Since that score has a date on it, I'm waiting until after that date next month to make my next CLI request.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not quite sure what their criteria is either. I'm having hit and miss luck with CLIs.  Discover bumped me from 2k to 3k, and Amex hasn't budget from 1k.  Everyone's got a different set of circumstances in their credit profile, or it might be possible that Amex "remembers" the card I defaulted on with them 18-20 years ago and is taking baby steps.  Other lenders have been quite generous. Cap One, Lowes, Pottery Barn.

But back to Discover, they denied me two or three times before finally bumping me $1K.  I suspect next round I'll have better luck. Scores have come up and utilization has come down, and it only gets brighter from here.

I defintely agree with you, on my Discover I got a CLI at day 31 but my Amex is a year old $1k SL and still there and the reasons they give are ridiculous. They change even though my profile has changed so much since approval and I've never had an Amex before then

Message 5 of 9
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I recieved a $1500 SL from Discover which at the time was big as my only card provided me with $550. However I applied for the AmEx BCE the same day and was approved for $2000 which has since been doubled. Now, I had a FICO score in the 770 range when I was approved which is now at 729 as of 10/17 due to an app spree.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned Disco marches to its own beat...No doubt
Other companies I see patterns and rhythms but Disco is all over the place

But one thing seems sure, if and when they like you, they love you if not they tolerate you but there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

You say you apped for them 6 months ago on the same day as AmEx and that you've exploded with CLs elsewhere since

It's entirely possible that they liked the profile of whom you were 6 months ago @$1500 but as mentioned they are a bit more leery of extending credit to the profile of today

The one with much more available credit with very little history of management of said available CLs

Sometimes we forget that, companies may set an internal threshold for risk tolerance based upon possibly how we get bucketed from day 1 and we might be under that cloud for say a year, so while another company may go buck wild another stats disciplined to their standards...to each, their own.
Message 7 of 9
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Funny thing happened this morning. I logged into my Discover account, and it appears they issued an auto CLI to $2,000 less than a week after receiving their previous denial letter. Strange. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is a strange being. I went from $500 and never getting an increase to massive increases and getting to where I am now.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.