Did you mean: 

Discover Direct Pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Direct Pay

@Itsmeagain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks so much for the url. I was able to reach the site, but they were doingain try age to  maintainance so I'll havin the morning.

You must have found your meds to control new apping? . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Lmao...that's too funny.  I have a super sensitive keyboard and continually hit something (have no idea what) that totally rearranges my sentences. It happens often, but I'm usually awake enough to catch it!  Someday I'll figure out how to stop it.

Good idea with the meds to control this apping though!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 04-26-2009 01:03 PM
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ulan, thanks again for that link. I was able to set up auto pay this morning. I normally never use auto pay myself, but 3 new accounts last month and for two of them I still have no clue what the payment due date is. I've made several payments on Discover just to make sure I don't somehow miss it. Now I can relax a bit knowing it's taken care of.

Thanks!

Message 22 of 29
jaybird201
Established Contributor

anyone who's worried about someone "hacking" their checking account as a direct result of signing-up for an automatic payment shouldn't be doing any financial transactions online or even have online banking.

that being said, real life isn't like the movies; someone can't just decide to "hack" your bank accounts, type stuff really quickly into MSDOS and voila, all of your money appears in the perpetrators's bank account. all information sent to and from your financial institutions is encrypted, not to mention there's an electronic paper trail that would allow any fraudulent activity to be traced, AND the vast majority of financial institutions have internal controls to make sure that NO employee can EVER access passwords or PIN numbers

as for not wanting to go around and stop all automatic payments if you don't have enough cash or something? everyone should have a 3-6 month emergency fund as per miss suze orman. Smiley Happy
Message Edited by jaybird201 on 04-26-2009 04:47 PM
Message 23 of 29
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I don't think that was the meaning behind the hacking comment.  There are plenty of people who have their accounts wiped out because someone somehow steals their bank info.  I just had a fraud charge disputed with my bank on Friday.  It does happen quite often.  There are cardreaders that people use or other ways they can steal your information and wipe you out in a day.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ulan, thanks again for that link. I was able to set up auto pay this morning. I normally never use auto pay myself, but 3 new accounts last month and for two of them I still have no clue what the payment due date is. I've made several payments on Discover just to make sure I don't somehow miss it. Now I can relax a bit knowing it's taken care of.

Thanks!

You are welcome! I posted this because I thought if at least one person who, like me, always wanted to have this feature but thought it didn't exist for Discover can now use it, this thread would serve its purpose. I'm happy the info was of some use to someone Smiley Happy!

Message 25 of 29
jaybird201
Established Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:
I don't think that was the meaning behind the hacking comment.  There are plenty of people who have their accounts wiped out because someone somehow steals their bank info.  I just had a fraud charge disputed with my bank on Friday.  It does happen quite often.  There are cardreaders that people use or other ways they can steal your information and wipe you out in a day.

That's why you learn what skimmers look like and watch at the counter when a clerk swipes your card. A lot of identity theft is preventable if you're vigilent and know how to protect yourself.

Message 26 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jaybird, if you would like to provide a good link for recognizing skimmers, preferably one with photos, I'm sure we'd all be interested. Just telling people to look for one doesn't get most of us very far.

Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 29
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Smiley Happy

i just re-read my comment and i sounded like kind of a (edit: ummm, jerk?). sorry about that.

i looked for pictures and these were the best i could find.

at a register (see the second article from the top):

http://blog.creditorweb.com/index.php/2007/12/

i usually watch and make sure they don't have any objects in their hands and make sure they don't unnecessarily take my credit card out of plain view.

at an atm (http://images.inq7.net/news/breaking/images/2005/aug/11/atm-skimmer.jpg)

i usually just look at the apparatus and jiggle it if it doesn't like like it's completely built into/onto the machine.

edited for a more family-friendly self-description. Smiley Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 04-28-2009 05:27 PM
Message 28 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Thank you, those are useful!

I see to shout at machines from my car window these days, so I don't see a lot of what happens with my card. Thanks for the handy reminder.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.