Did you mean: 

Discover - FT fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover - FT fees

@Revelate wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

There seems to be a problem getting Discover AND US issued Union Pay cards to work in Mainland China. The problem seems to be related to outdated POS terminals that can't process EMV transactions

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/tips-for-using-your-discover-card-internationally/     (see comments)

Ah good to know, hadn't run across that info yet.  **bleep**, still want something that works on the UP transaction network if I get stuck there for several weeks again haha.

Also regarding Hong Kong, Octopus card is accepted all over the place... didn't try getting one as I just put shrapnel in the machine for my tickets, but I wonder if loading the card with a Visa counts as travel: that's a pretty good solution too if so.

There is no point in your running back and forth to the USA (need to conserve cash). Let's get you connected with HGTV and have you looking for an apartment on the "House Hunters International" ... probably can get you a little coin, may be a connection with some locals and of course, an affordable localized place to live. Now how can you beat that ??? Smiley Wink Oh, I watch it and it is a great show!

Message 21 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

There seems to be a problem getting Discover AND US issued Union Pay cards to work in Mainland China. The problem seems to be related to outdated POS terminals that can't process EMV transactions

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/tips-for-using-your-discover-card-internationally/     (see comments)

Ah good to know, hadn't run across that info yet.  **bleep**, still want something that works on the UP transaction network if I get stuck there for several weeks again haha.

Also regarding Hong Kong, Octopus card is accepted all over the place... didn't try getting one as I just put shrapnel in the machine for my tickets, but I wonder if loading the card with a Visa counts as travel: that's a pretty good solution too if so.

There is no point in your running back and forth to the USA (need to conserve cash). Let's get you connected with HGTV and have you looking for an apartment on the "House Hunters International" ... probably can get you a little coin, may be a connection with some locals and of course, an affordable localized place to live. Now how can you beat that ??? Smiley Wink Oh, I watch it and it is a great show!

Laugh!  Well there was a small wager as to whether I'd stay in HKG (is/was an open position there, but instead of 20 years back in my career that'd be like 22 years ago... and there's a big difference there haha).  Though if they kept my salary plus cost of living adjustment... 

        
Message 22 of 27
joltdude
Senior Contributor

The problems with Unionpay acceptance with Discover reminds me of an experience in the US when a friend tried to present a Amoco Diners Club..... He had to explain to them to run it as a DC card...... Noone wanted to run the card.....

-J

Message 23 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@joltdude wrote:

The problems with Unionpay acceptance with Discover reminds me of an experience in the US when a friend tried to present a Amoco Diners Club..... He had to explain to them to run it as a DC card...... Noone wanted to run the card.....

-J

I can imagine... when I had my Citibank Diners Club back in the 90s a couple of times I had to convince a clerk to swipe it by showing them their own signage that it was accepted there - fortunately the picture on their sign matched my card design; I can imagine how it would have been with an Amoco (or other) Diners brand. 

I have fond memories of it... since there was no connection with Discover at that time it really could only be used with select sit-down restaurants, the travel industry (hotel/air/car rental), gas stations, and some anchor stores in the mall (and in the late 90s, Amazon).  Otherwise it wasn't too useful; but having 60 days to PIF did come in handy a few times.  If I recall correctly the AF was even higher than my Green card at the time, but I was young and dumb and not bothered by such things back then. 

Message 24 of 27
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Maybe Citi can let you PC a card to Octopus Smiley Happy

http://www.citibank.com.hk/english/credit-cards/octopus-cards.htm

Message 25 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

People on those shows don't actually search for properties. They walk through three properties...one of which they have already closed on for purchase or lease...and pretend for the camera to be looking at the others.

I mean, what would be the odds of dozens/hundreds of people who go on the show closing on one of the first three properties they look at so consistently?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

wasCB14 the reality of three choices and picking one .... probably zero. It is fun to watch the scenery andd see some of the local architecture around the world. As to reality likely not. For myself I know many of the shows are staged just like the Moonshinners, Gold Rush, Alaska the Final Frontier and the like on the Discovery Channel but they do have interesting content.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.