cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Financial Svcs softed me...what gives?

tag
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Financial Svcs softed me...what gives?

@FinStar wrote:

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I don't have a Discover card so I was wondering why?  Any chances for a Discover product?

Does a "preapproval" from Discover mean anything?  I checked their prequalifier page...recommended the it card 0% for 14 mos.  It did contain the opt-out language at the end.

Not really.  Within the same context as pre-qualified or pre-selected (i.e. no guarantee of approval).  Like anything, it's YEMV and it all boils down to creditworthiness.

Based on my stats in my siggy, do you think I have a chance?  They only SP EX.

I would be inclined to say yes based on just some of the limited info.  I see that your FICO scores are 730+ accross the board, how many recently opened tradelines in the last 6-12 months?  How about overall utilization?  AAoA?  Discover tends to be mainly a EQ/TU puller but maybe others can chime in in the event EX was also used.

Chase Freedom and 2 Amex cards in July (MSD '87), utilization is 6%, AAoA = 5yrs

I was wondering because they haven't SP any other report just EX.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 11 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I don't have a Discover card so I was wondering why?  Any chances for a Discover product?

Does a "preapproval" from Discover mean anything?  I checked their prequalifier page...recommended the it card 0% for 14 mos.  It did contain the opt-out language at the end.

Not really.  Within the same context as pre-qualified or pre-selected (i.e. no guarantee of approval).  Like anything, it's YEMV and it all boils down to creditworthiness.

I would be inclined to say yes based on just some of the limited info.  I see that your FICO scores are 730+ accross the board, how many recently opened tradelines in the last 6-12 months?  How about overall utilization?  AAoA?  Discover tends to be mainly a EQ/TU puller but maybe others can chime in in the event EX was also used.

Chase Freedom and 2 Amex cards in July (MSD '87), utilization is 6%, AAoA = 5yrs

It seems like everything appears to be in order... inquiries may seem a tad high but I'm under the assumption your profile is thick enough so it shouldn't present an issue.  Now, your siggy states "No Apps til 12/2015" and "All Reports Frozen!!!" - was this a personal/financial goal or just a gardening strategy?  Of course, if you decide to apply it may not be instantly approved as they may require you to unfreeze one of those CRs.

Btw, if Credditaddict had responded to your post before I did, he would have said "APPLY NOW" or "What you waiting for, unfreeze, apply" or along those lines...LOL.

Message 12 of 21
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

It seems like everything appears to be in order... inquiries may seem a tad high but I'm under the assumption your profile is thick enough so it shouldn't present an issue.  Now, your siggy states "No Apps til 12/2015" and "All Reports Frozen!!!" - was this a personal/financial goal or just a gardening strategy?  Both. Of course, if you decide to apply it may not be instantly approved as they may require you to unfreeze one of those CRs.

Btw, if Credditaddict had responded to your post before I did, he would have said "APPLY NOW" or "What you waiting for, unfreeze, apply" or along those lines...LOL.

This is more like a fishing expedition...I would like to wait until my set app date because by then all my INQ's will have fallen off.  At that time, I will unfreeze one of my reports and app.  I've fought so hard over the last decade to get just ONE baddie off of my EX report that now I am striving to break 760 FICO (I feel that INQ's are holding my score down since my profile is clean) on all reports and don't want to jeopardize it by apping too soon.

I am aware if I want an omelet, I got to break a few eggs so to speak.Smiley Wink My greatest temptation at this point is another Amex to pad AAoA with another 27 year old tradeline as I have my eye on the PRG which I will downgrade to Green before AF...for the MR points of course.

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 13 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

It seems like everything appears to be in order... inquiries may seem a tad high but I'm under the assumption your profile is thick enough so it shouldn't present an issue.  Now, your siggy states "No Apps til 12/2015" and "All Reports Frozen!!!" - was this a personal/financial goal or just a gardening strategy?  Both. Of course, if you decide to apply it may not be instantly approved as they may require you to unfreeze one of those CRs.

This is more like a fishing expedition...I would like to wait until my set app date because by then all my INQ's will have fallen off.  At that time, I will unfreeze one of my reports and app.  I've fought so hard over the last decade to get just ONE baddie off of my EX report that now I am striving to break 760 FICO (I feel that INQ's are holding my score down since my profile is clean) on all reports and don't want to jeopardize it by apping too soon.

I am aware if I want an omelet, I got to break a few eggs so to speak.Smiley Wink My greatest temptation at this point is another Amex to pad AAoA with another 27 year old tradeline as I have my eye on the PRG which I will downgrade to Green before AF...for the MR points of course.

Oh gotcha.  I would say once these inquiries age off from your CRs, then your scores will definitely recover.  IMHO, you have great chance of approval whenever you're ready to take the leap - PRG and/or Discover! Robot Very Happy  Good luck!

Message 14 of 21
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Oh gotcha.  I would say once these inquiries age off from your CRs, then your scores will definitely recover.  IMHO, you have great chance of approval whenever you're ready to take the leap - PRG and/or Discover! Robot Very Happy  Good luck!

Thanks for the advice!

Message 15 of 21
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Just means they soft pulled you to see if you qualify for any of their products. If you do, expect some sort of mailer in the mail within the next couple weeks

Well, you called it.  I checked my PO Box today and got an invite to apply for it card; 0% APR for 15 mos, then 10.99% thereafter.  I have until 01/31/14.  Since they have predetermined the APR after promo period, would this be considered a "preapproval" or just more fluff?  They are really dangling the carrot in front of me now.  So now I'm considering it (for diversification, don't have a true Discover card and 5% categories) and PRG (AAoA padding, MSD '87)...should I app for PRG first, then it card?  None of this is going to happen until January...I'm going to thaw out EX before app.  HELP!!!Smiley Frustrated 

This is new territory for me as I have been opted-out for many, many years.  

Message 16 of 21
samm90
New Contributor

Well... to help your decision. Between shop discover and the quarterly 5% I just got 15% cash back on a Toshiba Satellite with my discover. ..

Try for the 150 sign up bonus instead of 14 months 0%
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 17 of 21
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@samm90 wrote:
Well... to help your decision. Between shop discover and the quarterly 5% I just got 15% cash back on a Toshiba Satellite with my discover. ..

Try for the 150 sign up bonus instead of 14 months 0%

Nice...

Thanks for the advice but that's what Discover offered...the promo offer is nice (0% for 15 mos, not 14 and their lowest APR) because if I'm approved and make it my daily card I can get $150 in rewards in no time...I use my cards for everything except mortgage.  Besides I have a small balance I can float to use that promo.Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Just means they soft pulled you to see if you qualify for any of their products. If you do, expect some sort of mailer in the mail within the next couple weeks

Well, you called it.  I checked my PO Box today and got an invite to apply for it card; 0% APR for 15 mos, then 10.99% thereafter.  I have until 01/31/14.  Since they have predetermined the APR after promo period, would this be considered a "preapproval" or just more fluff?  They are really dangling the carrot in front of me now.  So now I'm considering it (for diversification, don't have a true Discover card and 5% categories) and PRG (AAoA padding, MSD '87)...should I app for PRG first, then it card?  None of this is going to happen until January...I'm going to thaw out EX before app.  HELP!!!Smiley Frustrated 

Well, it does sound like they're dangling a juicy carrot in front of ya!  If you are considering a couple apps in January, go for PRG first (likely will pull EX) and then you can determine if the offer is as juicy as it sounds and try the Discover it (can pull either be EQ or TU - rare instances EX).  Now, pre-approval/pre-selected offers are simply just that, marketing promotions to entice applying in the hopes of acquiring a new customer - of course, the decision rests entirely up to you.  If your profile, scores and utilization seem optimal, then just give it a shot in January...seemingly so, this would take care of 2 of your "White Whales" on your list if approved!   Best of luck Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 21
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Well, it does sound like they're dangling a juicy carrot in front of ya!  If you are considering a couple apps in January, go for PRG first (likely will pull EX) and then you can determine if the offer is as juicy as it sounds and try the Discover it (can pull either be EQ or TU - rare instances EX).  Now, pre-approval/pre-selected offers are simply just that, marketing promotions to entice applying in the hopes of acquiring a new customer - of course, the decision rests entirely up to you.  If your profile, scores and utilization seem optimal, then just give it a shot in January...seemingly so, this would take care of 2 of your "White Whales" on your list if approved!   Best of luck Smiley Wink

FinStar, I must say it is working BIG time.  I searched creditpulls database and it seems like Discover is leaning toward EX for 2013. Now I know that is a YMMV situation...and they appeared to pull EX from just about every region of the U.S.  Thanks for reminding me about the "preselected/preapproval" language...still learning Smiley Embarassed And YES! I can harpoon not one but two if successful on those fronts.  Thanks to all who contribute by paying forward.  I got some strategic planning to do.Smiley Wink  I guess everyone will know if I show up with a seedling, LOL.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.