Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Fraud!

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Discover Fraud!

I got an email an hour ago informing me of suspicious activity and to call immediately. Seems $185 was charged at a Meijer in MI. I told the woman in the fraud department I live in PA and havent left. No problem she says. They shut the account down on the spot and closed online access, they will be issuing a new account and new cards UPS to arrive Tuesday. I won't be liable for the charges. Pretty swift acting and great service as usual. Love Discover!
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover Fraud!

@MrShush wrote:
I got an email an hour ago informing me of suspicious activity and to call immediately. Seems $185 was charged at a Meijer in MI. I told the woman in the fraud department I live in PA and havent left. No problem she says. They shut the account down on the spot and closed online access, they will be issuing a new account and new cards UPS to arrive Tuesday. I won't be liable for the charges. Pretty swift acting and great service as usual. Love Discover!

Wow, that's great customer service !  I'm glad that they were able to shut down the account immediately.   Any idea how your account might have been compromised ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 35
Open123
Super Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

Any idea how your number was compromised?

Message 3 of 35
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So sorry that happened to you. Glad that Discover acted so promptly.

I wonder how they did it. If you haven't lost your card, was it an online purchase? It seems with the internet, our security is compromised no matter what we do.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 35
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

That is awesome CS!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 35
MrShush
Valued Contributor

No clue how it happened. I am pretty diligent in terms of network security and where I use my cards. My fiancee commutes to NJ and buys gas there but other than that, no ideas. I guess I can find out when they conclude their investigating. I watch my accounts like a hawk, now maybe I will have monitor even closer!
Message 6 of 35
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover is great about that, they've called me several times to verify that I've actually made purchases (usually when traveling). I always call them back and verify identity, and thank them for having my back Smiley Happy I have no doubt that discover would call me if my account ever gets compromised for real!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 35
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear. It happened to me a couple of times on my Amex  BCE. I'm glad they took care of it.

Ron.

Message 8 of 35
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@MrShush wrote:
No clue how it happened. I am pretty diligent in terms of network security and where I use my cards. My fiancee commutes to NJ and buys gas there but other than that, no ideas. I guess I can find out when they conclude their investigating. I watch my accounts like a hawk, now maybe I will have monitor even closer!

I've heard of identity thieves installing "skimmers" on gas pumps; they capture the card info and pass it along to the thieves. Perhaps something like this? Then again, who knows...

But I'm glad that Discover took care of it for you quickly and easily. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 35
MrShush
Valued Contributor

It could've been skimmed but it is a New Jersey state law to pump full serve; no self service at all. Jeez, and that purchase was on 02/22.

I am happy that they will take care of it. It is satisfying to know they watch everything, even if you don't wasn't them to.
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.