Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Freeze it question

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

Discover Freeze it question

When you freeze, is there any difference in what reports to the bureaus? Or do they just report the balance as normal?

I'm in process of getting a mortgage. I usually don't pay bills till the due date, but am paying them off before statement cut this month. I have some concern that my daughter or wife will unintentionally use the card in the few days between payment (now) and statement cut.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover Freeze it question

curious to the answer on this too. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The purpose of the Discover Freeze It feature is to protect you in case you can't find your card or have misplaced it. Stuff like recurring charges will continue to go through. Your account will continue to be reported to the CRAs as usual. If you're afraid your DW or DD will unintentionally use the cards it's better for you to hold on to those cards and give them back to them when they can use them again. Also, I imagine you want to save them the embarrassment of being declined bc the account is frozen. 

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The purpose of the Discover Freeze It feature is to protect you in case you can't find your card or have misplaced it. Stuff like recurring charges will continue to go through. Your account will continue to be reported to the CRAs as usual. If you're afraid your DW or DD will unintentionally use the cards it's better for you to hold on to those cards and give them back to them when they can use them again. Also, I imagine you want to save them the embarrassment of being declined bc the account is frozen. 

+1 correct 

http://www.investorrelations.discoverfinancial.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=204177&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2035358&gcmpgn=0809_ZZ_srch_gsan_txt_3&srchQ=freeze%20it&srchS=internet_cm_corp&srchC=internet_cm_fe&srchP=1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are only freezing an individual card, identified by sequence number. Other cards still function and it doesn't affect your account, let alone CRA reports.
If you only have 1 card and freeze it, then I'm not sure if any online transaction will go through.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You are only freezing an individual card, identified by sequence number. Other cards still function and it doesn't affect your account, let alone CRA reports.
If you only have 1 card and freeze it, then I'm not sure if any online transaction will go through.

This is for activate/deactivate - freeze/unfreeze is at account level.  It's a bit different.  You can deactivate one card but if you freeze you freeze everything.

Activate/deactivate:

Temporarily deactivating your card prevents in-store purchases at point-of-sale terminals. You can still make online and phone purchases, and automatic bill payments will continue.You can reactivate your card right here at any time.

--

Freeze/unfreeze:

Temporarily freezing your account means Discover will not authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers.

• Your account number will not change
  • You should continue to pay your bill and manage your account online or by mobile app

Some activity on your account will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits,
dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and 
certain other exempted transactions.

Simply unfreeze your account, at any time, to turn everything back on.

Message 6 of 11
compassion101
Established Contributor

I'm not gonna chanve it with the freeze. I am just concerned that something we order (for instance, amazon automatically bills discover on my account for movies) might chage discover. I'll just keep on top of the account daily until the statement cuts.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mistake. I confused their "deactivate card" with "freeze account". There used to be freeze buttons for each card under manage my cards and now they've made some changes and renamed features around. I believe this was the latest update...

Message 8 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well actually it froze my entire account. all cards.  did not give me option to choose indiviual card. but to answer. yes it will still report. and it tells you. it will also still allow recurring charges to go thru. even if frozen.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a thread about this the other night. Everyone is getting confused. It is not the same as freezing your individual cards.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.