Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover HP CLI

tag
alkaline
Regular Contributor

Discover HP CLI

I have not gotten any CLIs from Discover since I opened the card over a year and a half ago then did a HP CLI about two months after. Each time they want to do a HP now. I've been looking at the TU report I pulled back in July. Of the three inquiries I have on TU, two are from Discover (one from opening the account, other from the HP CLI I requested two months in - the third one is from my apartment's management company). The only soft pulls I have on TU are from Discover, my auto insurance company, and from free monitoring services. I looked at the credit pulls database and the only big creditors that routinely pull TU in my state are Barclays and Capital One. I don't plan on opening any cards with them. Do you guys think it would be fine for me to go ahead and let Discover do a hard pull since they're the only creditor that looks at TU?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover HP CLI

I thought Discover only pulls EQ?  I have three of their pulls with three denials.  Do they switch and use TU for credit limit increases or does this depend on where in the country you are?

Message 2 of 20
alkaline
Regular Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I thought Discover only pulls EQ?  I have three of their pulls with three denials.  Do they switch and use TU for credit limit increases or does this depend on where in the country you are?

I think it depends on where you live, both hard pulls from them have been TU for me.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can find statistic on which bureau(s) creditors pull on the web. It is based on your location. Google credit pulls database.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

discover always pulls TU for CLI and shy of the three bureaus for applications
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

any* not shy. sorry
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

and OP to answer your question i would do the HP sine it seems not many of your lenders pull from that. only do it if you need the CLI though.
Message 7 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

@alkaline wrote:

I have not gotten any CLIs from Discover since I opened the card over a year and a half ago then did a HP CLI about two months after. Each time they want to do a HP now. I've been looking at the TU report I pulled back in July. Of the three inquiries I have on TU, two are from Discover (one from opening the account, other from the HP CLI I requested two months in - the third one is from my apartment's management company). The only soft pulls I have on TU are from Discover, my auto insurance company, and from free monitoring services. I looked at the credit pulls database and the only big creditors that routinely pull TU in my state are Barclays and Capital One. I don't plan on opening any cards with them. Do you guys think it would be fine for me to go ahead and let Discover do a hard pull since they're the only creditor that looks at TU?

It depends how you feel about it, worse case it's another denial and wasted HP. In recent months, they're more amenable to SP CLI, so I'd have all 3 frozen upon request and let them lick it, as in-no thanks on a 3rd HP at the moment.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 20
newhis
Valued Contributor

@alkaline wrote:

I feel your pain, both my DW and I have the same problem, always ask for HP. I don't know what to do. Now Discover is our lowest limit card. At least they gave us auto-CLI 4 months ago. I'm trying for CLI at least twice a month. I PIF mine, DW started using the 0% promo, let's see if that makes any difference.

I hope you can get a good CLI if you decide to use the HP. Good luck.

Message 9 of 20
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I took a HP once from them for a CLI and even had to speak with an analyst after I was denied to get a recon.  I had the card for about a year or so at that time.  When I spoke with the analyst she approved me for an increase of $4000 and basically told me I left something on the table, but that she could only give me what I asked for.  Ever since then it has always been an offer to do so with a HP, so I decline, except the last time I asked.  The last time I asked about a month or two ago and they gave another $1500 with a SP. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.