Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Habbits?

tag
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Habbits?

I find that Discover likes usage and reward you by giving big CLI. So dont worry they are not an AA type of company IMO

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 11 of 19
cim
Established Member

I got a Discover around June of last year with 5500 CL. I ended up getting close to maxing on it since I have 0% until this June just to take advantage of the free float. Discover has rewarded me with two auto CLI during such time and now I'm at 7000 CL.  I've since paid it all off just to keep my util down but what this taught me was that Discover liked that I was really using the card. 

Message 12 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

kudos to you! That should def'ly help you out then!!

Effective debt management is what credit is about!

@joeyh2007 wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Just make large payments as you mention!
I actually charged a $2000 car related item on my Amex BCE last month an no aa yet! Consider this though:

How much will your new auto loan affect your dti?

This new auto loan could prevent Discover from offering a future cli.

Good luck :-)

This car loan payment is $75 more than my previous car loan and I've seriously lowered my credit card debt recently so dti should stay the same in terms of my monthly obligations.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@joeyh2007 wrote:

So my question is how does Discover respond to large purchases that may take 3-6 months to pay off?

They like it, because they are a credit card company, and interest is how they make their money.

My Discover More started out with a $500 limit. For the first year of having the card, I kept it completely maxed out and only paid the minimum payment. I received an auto-CLI at 6 months and again at 9 months (and promptly maxed out the increased limits as well). Fast forward to the future, when my credit profile and income had improved significantly, and during a manual CLI reconsideration, a Discover underwriter actually asked me why I went from paying only the minimum to paying the card off in full.

GE did the same thing to me --- I kept my Walmart store card completely maxed out for a long time, and they continued to give me auto CLIs. People who face adverse action from carrying a large balance were probably already considered a high risk when their accounts were opened. As long as you keep making that minimum payment, and as long as they keep making money from the interest, the creditors are happy.

Message 14 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@joeyh2007 wrote:

So my question is how does Discover respond to large purchases that may take 3-6 months to pay off?

They like it, because they are a credit card company, and interest is how they make their money.

My Discover More started out with a $500 limit. For the first year of having the card, I kept it completely maxed out and only paid the minimum payment. I received an auto-CLI at 6 months and again at 9 months (and promptly maxed out the increased limits as well). Fast forward to the future, when my credit profile and income had improved significantly, and during a manual CLI reconsideration, a Discover underwriter actually asked me why I went from paying only the minimum to paying the card off in full.

GE did the same thing to me --- I kept my Walmart store card completely maxed out for a long time, and they continued to give me auto CLIs. People who face adverse action from carrying a large balance were probably already considered a high risk when their accounts were opened. As long as you keep making that minimum payment, and as long as they keep making money from the interest, the creditors are happy.

GE loves it becuse their interest rates are CRAZY!!! lol

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 15 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

GE loves it becuse their interest rates are CRAZY!!! lol

Barclays and Capital One like it too. Creditors have a finite amount of credit to extend to all of their customers. They would rather extend it to more profitable customers.

Message 16 of 19
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 17 of 19
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

the question is do they make more money off interest or swipe fees for people that PIF every month and are relatively low risk

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 18 of 19
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I think they really dont care as long as you manage your account in a adult like matter, IE not sitting on your credit limit month in and month out. I worked for them and they didnt seem to like people who sat at the limit for months paying the min. Just screams I cant pay my bills.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.