cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover - How to get a decent credit limit?

tag
lostsols
Valued Member

Re: Discover - How to get a decent credit limit?

Went from $1k to $24k in under 2 years.  Nothing special, just quarterly or semi-annual sp cli's.  Extremely heavy usage for the first year or so, and virtually no usage since then.

Message 11 of 20
tititii

Haha!until last year October 2013 I had no major credit cards.... but had a discover student loan.october 2013 I wanted a card, and so I started with citi and they turned me down twice in two weeks. Two hard pulls. Then I turned to discover and voila! approved. Called to find out by how much and I was told 7500 limit. So I used the card for six months. It turned six months this April. So I went online last week,request a credit limit increase of 4500... I wanted to round it up to $12000 if u know what I mean. 60 seconds went by and voila! Approved for $4000 increase. Not the full 4500 I asked for. But I took it and fled. So my limit now stands at $11500. And six months ago I had no major credit card except my Macys and GEHhGregg card. Men I love discover. It pays to u know what!discover!
Message 12 of 20
RushXTC
Established Contributor

I've always paid double the minimum payment, Then I load up more than that... Until recently where I had medical expenses, I got it up to $2,400 out of my $2,500 limit.

I dropped it to $1,900 and another expense came up, Asked for SP CLI and they denied me. I forgot what the letter say... But I didn't even get a counter offer  to the $5,000 I was asking for.. nothing at all..

I just sent a $500 payment 2 days ago, Will wait another 2 months to drop it to a $1,000 balance before asking again.

Message 13 of 20
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

ł just did a request and got bumped from 3.8k to 7.5k

ł probably should've asked for more but ł'm fairly certain it was a soft pull so ł'll take it!

Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 14 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@shane1120 wrote:

@bradb wrote:

What type of useage does Discover like to see for CLI's? I've had my discover card for a couple years now and they are definitely the most stingy with limits. I believe the card started out at $2k and now it's only at $3,500. I did a HP CLI and only received a $500 increase.

The funny thing is my BOA card has a $50k limit, chase is at $10k, citi $10k, etc etc.

Any idea? Thanks!

I would have to disagree with them being stingy. i started last August with the IT card that had an $800 limit. 6 months later i got it increased to 2k then just today i took a fresh hard pull to get it to 5k. they have been my go to card. I PIF every month an never had over 15% UTIL on it.

Bofore or after statement cuts?

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 15 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@awp317 wrote:

IDK they gave me 10k as a starting limit so I cant say they are stingy, but since they to me arent a major player like amex or chase they probably wont extend super high limits. Just depends on your income IMO. IM honestly happy to see the banks cutting back a bit. Thats what got us in the credit crunch mess to begin with that makes getting loans so difficult. 

Speak for your self,Smiley Happy

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 16 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@lostsols wrote:

Went from $1k to $24k in under 2 years.  Nothing special, just quarterly or semi-annual sp cli's.  Extremely heavy usage for the first year or so, and virtually no usage since then.

Cool,

Message 17 of 20
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

To me it looks that Discover looks at the other cards and limits and compares it to income Smiley Sad ...I noticed that customers without a ton of other cards or high limits get really nice limits with Discover but if your CLs are already over your income then they really start you with low limits. I got 2,5K when my other cards were 5K-25K and Discover would not budge to even increase by 500$ ...go figure... With time and a lot of patience (15 months) it worked for me to have Discover adjust my limit to my next lower card my Freedom..Smiley Happy  Now I am happy and will leave it alone.

Message 18 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@tititii wrote:
Haha!until last year October 2013 I had no major credit cards.... but had a discover student loan.october 2013 I wanted a card, and so I started with citi and they turned me down twice in two weeks. Two hard pulls. Then I turned to discover and voila! approved. Called to find out by how much and I was told 7500 limit. So I used the card for six months. It turned six months this April. So I went online last week,request a credit limit increase of 4500... I wanted to round it up to $12000 if u know what I mean. 60 seconds went by and voila! Approved for $4000 increase. Not the full 4500 I asked for. But I took it and fled. So my limit now stands at $11500. And six months ago I had no major credit card except my Macys and GEHhGregg card. Men I love discover. It pays to u know what!discover!

Thats a trip.....

Congrats,

Message 19 of 20
bradb
Established Member

After using my Discover card as my main card for the past month or so I went ahead and requested a CLI of $1500 and they approved it with a SP.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.