Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT 5% on gas at Sam's Club

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT 5% on gas at Sam's Club

I was reading fine print of the Discover IT 5% back on gas program and it said not eligible. "Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible." I always thought that was strange because on the example list Discover gives they say Sam's Club Gas is included...  Has anyone ever asked or tested it out? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Discover IT 5% on gas at Sam's Club

What's the issue if you just go over there today and try it? Smiley Happy

You may not get the 5%, but how much is that on $2 gas?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have before but can not tell if it gives the 5%. Does it tell you on the Discover website how much it gives you back on each purchase? I know it does on Capital One. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

just just gas buddies app on a smartphone.. it finds you the cheapest gas near you and you maximize your 5% ..enjoy!

Message 4 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have before but can not tell if it gives the 5%. Does it tell you on the Discover website how much it gives you back on each purchase? I know it does on Capital One. 

Yes, as soon as that charge posts to your Discover account, if you check your account on-line it gives you a "You're ready to roll!" kudo for getting your 5% bonus. So far this quarter I see that every time I use my card at Fred Meyer gasoline.

of course, if you don't see the "You're ready to roll!" then you did not get the 5%.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to resurrect a buried post, but I didn't see any concrete confirmation anywhere else on the interwebs, and this seemed like the most relevant place from a quick search

I just confirmed with a Discover chat rep that gas purchased at Sam's Club and BJ's counts for the 5% bonus if you pay at the pump.  Unfortunately I didn't copy the transcript and they don't email it, so I just messaged them for written confirmation.  Will update here when I get a response, as well as when I get my next statement if I make a purchase there.

Sam's near me is usually 8-12 cents/gallon lower than the competition, but I've been avoiding it since I thought that Sam's didn't qualify and 10% cash back at Shell or another station ends up being cheaper plus it's Top Tier.  Plus I sometimes drive to areas where gas is even lower than at my local Sam's.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just confirmed with a Discover chat rep that gas purchased at Sam's Club and BJ's counts for the 5% bonus if you pay at the pump.  Unfortunately I didn't copy the transcript and they don't email it, so I just messaged them for written confirmation.

Welcome to the board and thanks for confirming the info. with Discover.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to resurrect a buried post, but I didn't see any concrete confirmation anywhere else on the interwebs:

I just confirmed with a Discover chat rep that gas purchased at Sam's Club and BJ's counts for the 5% bonus if you pay at the pump.  Unfortunately I didn't copy the transcript and they don't email it, so I just messaged them for written confirmation.

Sam's near me is usually 8-12 cents/gallon lower than the competition, but I've been avoiding it since I thought that Sam's didn't qualify and 10% cash back at Shell or another station ends up being cheaper plus it's Top Tier.  Plus I sometimes drive to areas where gas is even lower than at my local Sam's.

I don't belong to Sams, but I do belong to Costco and I'm debating whether to keep my membership and/or jump to Sams. Gas is one thing that I do get at Costco, though not as often as I'd like because there are none in my immediate area (10 miles one east or 10 miles south). There is a Sams RIGHT by one of the Costco's, and I think their gas prices are fairly close. Costco has the leg up when traveling in CA, there are Costcos spaced out along the 101 enough to get Costco gas all the way up and down Cali. 

But here's my question...I'd read that Costco gas is as good as the 'Top Tier' gas from Shell/Chevron etc. Any opinions here? And is Sams as good too? 

(Slight tangent, but I hope related enough to be of interest to those in the thread.) 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good data points. Thanks guys
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't belong to Sams, but I do belong to Costco and I'm debating whether to keep my membership and/or jump to Sams. Gas is one thing that I do get at Costco, though not as often as I'd like because there are none in my immediate area (10 miles one east or 10 miles south). There is a Sams RIGHT by one of the Costco's, and I think their gas prices are fairly close. Costco has the leg up when traveling in CA, there are Costcos spaced out along the 101 enough to get Costco gas all the way up and down Cali. 

But here's my question...I'd read that Costco gas is as good as the 'Top Tier' gas from Shell/Chevron etc. Any opinions here? And is Sams as good too? 

(Slight tangent, but I hope related enough to be of interest to those in the thread.) 

Costco gas is officially "Top Tier":  http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

I think they didn't used to be (a few years ago) but now are, and people/sites stil lhave outdated information.  (edit: Costco is top tier as of March 2014)

Sam's isn't on the Top Tier list, and I have no idea about the quality of their gas, or if/how much Top Tier even matters.  It's difficult to get a straight answer on quality of different gas and what actually matters because everyone seems to have a strong opinion that isn't consistent with anyone else's and backed up by facts/studies.

Personally, I try to get gas from a Top Tier station every few tanks, at least, depending on how much more my local Shell is than other stations and if I pass by Costco.  Sometimes it's the same price before/after the $0.03/gal off with Fuel Rewards Network at Shell, sometimes it's a few cents more. 

There's a Sam's deal on Slickdeals right now, which seem to happen often lately.  It ends up being $25 after a gift card, and includes 4 coupons worth $19 if you buy those things and Sam's has a good price on them: http://slickdeals.net/f/8493955-1-year-sam-s-club-membership-20-gift-card-5-off-pizza-more?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV1

(hopefully links are allowed - I'm new here)

As for switching to Sam's, you'd have to run the numbers.  Strictly based on using their gas stations, how much gas you use in a year, price difference between Sam's and your usual local gas stations, etc.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.