Did you mean: 

Discover IT APR reduction

tag
Petraeus
Contributor

Re: Discover IT APR reduction

Hey mxp what is your AAoA?
FICO® Avg: 732 (11/2013)
Notable CC: AMHFCU® PLATINUM MASTERCARD $25K | Chase Marriott Rewards SigVisa $12K | AmEX PRG NPSL | BoA Cash Rewards Signature® Visa $12K | AmEX BCE $9K | Citi Diamond Preferred $10K | Chase Freedom Signature Visa $5K | BoA Travel Rewards® Signature® Visa $5K
Current Overall CL: $139K | UTL: 18% | AAoA 3yrs | Gardening since 11/26/2013
Future CC: Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature®
Future CLI: AmEX BCE 2/2014 | Fico goal: 760+
Message 21 of 45
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Keep us updated, mxp!

And good luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 22 of 45
Petraeus
Contributor

Snack is the cc already at the lowest APR available? That could explain what's w.going on.
FICO® Avg: 732 (11/2013)
Notable CC: AMHFCU® PLATINUM MASTERCARD $25K | Chase Marriott Rewards SigVisa $12K | AmEX PRG NPSL | BoA Cash Rewards Signature® Visa $12K | AmEX BCE $9K | Citi Diamond Preferred $10K | Chase Freedom Signature Visa $5K | BoA Travel Rewards® Signature® Visa $5K
Current Overall CL: $139K | UTL: 18% | AAoA 3yrs | Gardening since 11/26/2013
Future CC: Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature®
Future CLI: AmEX BCE 2/2014 | Fico goal: 760+
Message 23 of 45
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

I believe Discover is a crazy bank. I had the card since January 2012 and was given a 17-18% APR. My account wasn't eligible for an Increase for the initial 9 months...(I have no idea why) In any event I called in November and asked for an increase. I got denied (was abled to recon the denial and only got a $500 increase with a hard pull) It brought my limit to $1,000. I also asked for an APR reduction. Denied. They stated to send in/fax a form they mailed me. They manually reviewed my account and gave me a 2-3 point reduction to 15-16% (can't remember the exact numbers) A few months ago I figured let me apply for the "IT" since it was new and wanted a higher limit. Denied. Recon...Denied (offered to close the More and keep the $1,000 limit) I declined that offer. I called the executive office and they said that was all they could do. A few weeks ago I decided to push the CLI on the site...unavailable. (Didn't bother calling in to know why) I chatted with a Rep and said to lower APR. Congratulations your new APR will be (8 something + prime) so 11.9%.

Ultimately, they are strange. I continue to push thousands through the account and always PIF, PIF before Statement, PIF after statement, etc. I even even kept a balance a few months just to see if they would give in. They never give me a CLI but give me the lowest APR for the More (I could continue with manual reviews to get it lower)...even though I never need to worry about the APR. Throughout this time I was approved for good cards and increases. I think I might just show this card my shredder.

Message 24 of 45
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Petraeus - I don't know what the lowest APR is - I always assume an issuer can lower the APR if pressed hard enough. The account is currently at 15.69%.

SSA - was it a Hard pull when you mailed/faxed that form in to them?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 25 of 45
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@ Snack: No hard pull for the APR reduction. The only thing that form does is request that they manually review the account. 

Message 26 of 45
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Great!

That sounds like the obvious first step. Too bad it will take a few days.

Thanks for the help, all! This loved one needs to get these balances paid down. The money floating out the window in interest makes me cringe.

Message 27 of 45
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I figured since I had to call them on something, I'd ask for an APR reduction. Went from 20.99 to 14.99 %

Now if I can get USAA to do the same with a SP

That's pretty good...congrats!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 28 of 45
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Petraeus wrote:
Hey mxp what is your AAoA?

4.5 years but I think EQ shows 4.2 years since it doesn't have two older closed TL's.

@SnackTrader wrote:
Keep us updated, mxp!

And good luck!

Thanks but no luck. They replied and said my account is at the absolute best APR available and nothing could be done. I wonder if that user with a 5.99% standard purchase APR was perhaps confused.

Message 29 of 45
liz2011

SSA, what is the number for the executive office?  I have been calling Discover and asking for an APR reduction and have been denied.  They did offer me a promotional APR on new purchases, but not on my balance.  The last rep I spoke to told me that Discover currently has a company wide policy not to lower APRs on consumer credit card balances, which went into effect after the credit card laws were passed in 2009.  Surprise, surprise--my APR was increased just before that law went into effect.  Shady!!  I asked her why they raised my APR in the first place and she said "it's nothing you did wrong, it's just something that happens."  I have been their customer for 6 years, never a late payment, never above my limit (or even close).  Original APR was 9.74% and my current APR is 16%. I wrote a letter to corporate asking for the reduction but would like to speak to someone higher up on the phone.  I asked the CSR for the phone number for the executive office but was told they didn't accept direct calls from consumers.  Something is not right here, but I am going to keep trying.  I can't stand to think about how much of my payment goes towards interest each month.  If I could get that number, it would help a lot!  Thanks in advance!!

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.