Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT - Best Place to Apply

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Discover IT - Best Place to Apply

I was thinking about applying for Discover IT and was wondering what the best place is to apply at.

My wife is an existing card holder so she can send me a referral link. If I get approved, both of us will get $50 referral bonus. The problem is, I might not be able to take advantage of the 18 months balance transfer offer using this option. Can I?

Also, Amazon gives a $75 gift card after first purchase if applying through their website. There’s also a 14 months 0% APR and balance transfer feature with them.

What do you guys think is the best option?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover IT - Best Place to Apply

Do you need the 18 months? If you do, then you can't use the referral bonus or the amazon bonus.

If you do need that long to finance a purchase, you can consider citi simplicity as well. There's a 21 month offer going around
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 16
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

enharu,

Since my purpose is to get a balance tranfer offer, I'll try to negotiate for the maximum possible CLI through this application.

Do you know who, among Discover and Citi, is famous for granting high initial CL when doing a balance transfer at the time of application?
Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 3 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi can be extremely quirky for some people and there's essentially little to no means of recons. If you are not confident of an approval, its best to not go this route, because you are most likely going to be stuck with whatever CL they give you. Then again, the requirements are just about the same for chase and other prime banks, so its not really hard to get approved either. Do you have a lot of recent inquiries or new account? Or an high utilization?

Discover is easier to get approved for compared to citi. Some people have been able to get a temporary CLI for BT purposes, while some got a permanent CLI. It's gonna be a ymmv situation as well.

Citi is more generous with initial CL as well in my opinion.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 16
RSCo
Established Contributor

Call them and do it over the phone with a live person.. You'll get a better CL..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 5 of 16
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

What if I apply for the card online and then after getting approved, call them and ask for a CLI based on balance transfer reason? Do they normally give a CLI through this route?
Message 6 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi would be quite unlikely.

Discover seems to be more negotiable about that but it depends on your overall CR
Message 7 of 16
Petraeus
Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Citi can be extremely quirky for some people and there's essentially little to no means of recons. If you are not confident of an approval, its best to not go this route, because you are most likely going to be stuck with whatever CL they give you. Then again, the requirements are just about the same for chase and other prime banks, so its not really hard to get approved either. Do you have a lot of recent inquiries or new account? Or an high utilization?

Discover is easier to get approved for compared to citi. Some people have been able to get a temporary CLI for BT purposes, while some got a permanent CLI. It's gonna be a ymmv situation as well.

Citi is more generous with initial CL as well in my opinion.

Agreed. Citi approved my second CC with a CL of 7K, my highest initial CL ever to start.

FICO® Avg: 732 (11/2013)
Notable CC: AMHFCU® PLATINUM MASTERCARD $25K | Chase Marriott Rewards SigVisa $12K | AmEX PRG NPSL | BoA Cash Rewards Signature® Visa $12K | AmEX BCE $9K | Citi Diamond Preferred $10K | Chase Freedom Signature Visa $5K | BoA Travel Rewards® Signature® Visa $5K
Current Overall CL: $139K | UTL: 18% | AAoA 3yrs | Gardening since 11/26/2013
Future CC: Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature®
Future CLI: AmEX BCE 2/2014 | Fico goal: 760+
Message 8 of 16
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Well if you need the extra 4 months, go for the referral link.

If you do decide to apply on the phone, the best place would be next to the windows. You don't want a dropped call while applying.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 9 of 16
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Laugh,

You misunderstood it. The friend's referral link doesn't have any 0% APR feature.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.