Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT CLI?

tag
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover IT CLI?

Discover has recently improved their online CLI process significantly. I have seen previous occasions on the site where if you ask for too much, it will require you to approve a hard pull or flat out deny you.

A few days ago, I asked for a $6,000 increase online to my $9,000 limit. I immediately got a counter-offer with two options: Accept a $2,500 increase, or accept a manual review with a hard pull. I took the increase.

EDIT: I also just confirmed on the phone with Discover that the minimum period between CLIs has gone down from 6 months to 3 months.

Message 21 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

Discover has recently improved their online CLI process significantly. I have seen previous occasions on the site where if you ask for too much, it will require you to approve a hard pull or flat out deny you.

A few days ago, I asked for a $6,000 increase online to my $9,000 limit. I immediately got a counter-offer with two options: Accept a $2,500 increase, or accept a manual review with a hard pull. I took the increase.

EDIT: I also just confirmed on the phone with Discover that the minimum period between CLIs has gone down from 6 months to 3 months.

After soooo many denials I could not resist in filling in the form again and expected the site to ask for permission to HP but this time it came back with a congratulations ??...I am shocked but still not sure if it did a HP or not?  The site mentioned it might require a HP but not asking for permission later on?  It always did in the past. Anyway the miracle happen and the full 2,5K got approved and my new CL is 5K....thanks Discover now I can use the card Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 48
12njoy
Super Contributor

I received a cli from $6,500 to $10,000 after three months from opening account.  CSR said that SP wouldn't work so they asked for permission for HP.  I agreed and was approved.  Not bad for a 3 month process on new accounts. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 23 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

To those who received auto increases---did you open any new accounts after getting approved for the Discover? I've had mine for 6 months, but I opened 7 new accounts after getting approved. Citi declined my request and cited too many new accounts. I was wondering if Discover is the same way?

I've only had my Discover for 3 years, but here's my auto increase experience.  

The first increase was after using the card 6 months, from $7,000 to $8,500.  The second was in month 13, increase another $1,500.  Just recently, another increase of $1,000.  During the time, my useage was sporadic, ranging from 0 - $1,500 montly charges, depending on the 5% categories.  Unless there's 5% online stores, I don't use the card at all, rarely even the token gum charge.  However, I do use it for the cashback feature at accepted merchants.  Unlike Chase and Amex take into consideration useage for CLIs, not sure how they decide CLIs, since from my useage, $5k is clearly enough for me, let alone $10K.

In my experience, the less I use them, meaning no activity, the more they try to offer me an incentive for using them, e.g., $35 cashback for spening $50 at Neiman Marcus, $5 Starbuck Cards, extra 2% promo, and various other stuff.

Message 24 of 48
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:

To those who received auto increases---did you open any new accounts after getting approved for the Discover? I've had mine for 6 months, but I opened 7 new accounts after getting approved. Citi declined my request and cited too many new accounts. I was wondering if Discover is the same way?

I've only had my Discover for 3 years, but here's my auto increase experience.  

The first increase was after using the card 6 months, from $7,000 to $8,500.  The second was in month 13, increase another $1,500.  Just recently, another increase of $1,000.  During the time, my useage was sporadic, ranging from 0 - $1,500 montly charges, depending on the 5% categories.  Unless there's 5% online stores, I don't use the card at all, rarely even the token gum charge.  However, I do use it for the cashback feature at accepted merchants.  Unlike Chase and Amex take into consideration useage for CLIs, not sure how they decide CLIs, since from my useage, $5k is clearly enough for me, let alone $10K.

In my experience, the less I use them, meaning no activity, the more they try to offer me an incentive for using them, e.g., $35 cashback for spening $50 at Neiman Marcus, $5 Starbuck Cards, extra 2% promo, and various other stuff.

Did you open other accounts after getting approved?

Message 25 of 48
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@DawgZ wrote:

I have now had my Discover IT card for 5 months. How long show I wait before I try the LUV button?

You can hit it at 3 months

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 26 of 48
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

Discover hates me....no CLI at 3 months, no CLI just now, even on the phone. This is without doing a HP though. If they are going by my score from when I opened it that could be the reason, my credit kinda sucked back then. Oh well, no luvs here Smiley Sad

Message 27 of 48
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@DawgZ wrote:

I have now had my Discover IT card for 5 months. How long show I wait before I try the LUV button?

I've just given up with Discover and asking for SP CLI's. I'll take it out of the SD if an auto cli ever comes.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 28 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@DawgZ wrote:

I've just given up with Discover and asking for SP CLI's. I'll take it out of the SD if an auto cli ever comes.

Don't give up yet. I also thought it was a mission impossible for me but today the miracle happened and Discover doubled the CL. .....Hang in there!

Message 29 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

Did you open other accounts after getting approved?

Yes, 3 or 4 per quarter the past several years.  Also, forgot to add, I app'ed for Discover when they still had the "build your card," and created a $200 sign-up bonus for spending $1,500.  

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.