Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Card

tag
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Discover IT Card

So I'm been receiving a preselected offer for the discover It card every week now for the past 4 or 5 months. I've never considered taking this offer until now. I eventually want the chase sapphire preferred. And I feel I wouldn't get approved for the CSP because of my AoAA, number of accounts, and limits are relatively low. So I wanted to know what everyone thinks what kind of limit I would get on the discover it card. And is it a hard or soft pull for the preselected offer

FREEDOM CARD - 1500 limit
AMEX PREMIER REWARDS GOLD - no preset limit
Élan Financial - 1000 limit

I'm 19 with 750+ fico score across all 3
No baddies
0% debt util
No student or car loans
Oldest account is 3 years old
AAoA is 1 year and 9 months
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover IT Card

It's a Hp if you choose to app. Discovers starting CLI's are all over the place. Your limit could be $500 or $5000- it's really anyone's guess.
Message 2 of 9
tk_0014
Established Member

Well, im a bit torn on your odds for CSP. You see, I got approved for 5k on it. I had one card just CLI'd to 3k a month or two before. Granted, my AAOA was a little higher than yours, and I had a freedom since 07.

However, your score is higher than mine was at the time of app.

Disc. approved me for 5,500. at 20% intrest after intro. I thought, well, if disc gave me 5k, why wouldnt chase, and apped for CSP.

You WILL Get the disc, probably with a decent CL. If its over 5k, try for CSP. Worst case, you get denied...

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 3 of 9
mjnierva23
New Contributor

Yea that's what I was thinking I was gunna app for the discover card hopefully get a higher limit around 5k than app for the CSP a couple months later. I'm not really worried about getting denied I'm more concerned with getting a lower limit like 2k. If I don't get a 5k limit on the discover I feel like it was a waste of an inquiry. Because most people on this forum suggest having at least one limit at 5k or higher before apping for the CSP.
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Having the higher CLI does help but not a necessity. Your overall file should warrant the signature line. Remember, Chase uses internal scoring on their apps. If you have a banking relationship, existing cc's with them will also help.
Message 5 of 9
mjnierva23
New Contributor

If you bank with chase and apply for one of their card does chase look at your checking and savings balances and take that into consideration
Message 6 of 9
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I'd suggest going with something that is sure, which is Discover IT, after you get approved for the Discover IT card, then I'd suggest going for the CSP card.

CSP Min req is 5k.

This might be a stupid question from me, you said your oldest CC is 3 years old and that you are 19, but don't you have to be at least 18+ to have a credit card or at least count towards your credit?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 7 of 9
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@mjnierva23 wrote:
If you bank with chase and apply for one of their card does chase look at your checking and savings balances and take that into consideration

Doubt it, I don't think it's any of their business to take a look at your checking/savings account.

They usually will ask you if you have a checking/savings on the app, but nothing about balances.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Maybe OP is an AU

For a banking relationship, it should be a substantial deposit
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.