Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT. Cut my CL

tag
dstew201
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover IT. Cut my CL

That was my next question: is discover known to be inq sensitive?? I've had a number of new accts and inq in the last 2 months!! Although my FICO scores have started to tick upwards.
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CL was 1200 with a balance of 580.00. I used the card yesterday at a fast food place for 15 bucks and got the email message this morning. And I only got VS to get my manly big foot in the door with Cominity.
Message 12 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@dstew201 wrote:
That was my next question: is discover known to be inq sensitive?? I've had a number of new accts and inq in the last 2 months!! Although my FICO scores have started to tick upwards.

Not persay.. Some people have umm 50+ inquiries on EQ with no issues on this card.. This isn't the normal, but there are a few on here with around the number and no issues with Discover.  Granted everyone profile is different.

Be interesting to hear what Discover says when OP calls in.

Message 13 of 29
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
My CL was 1200 with a balance of 580.00. I used the card yesterday at a fast food place for 15 bucks and got the email message this morning. And I only got VS to get my manly big foot in the door with Cominity.

Still haven't answered the question of any recent lates/baddies, etc or utilization that might of caused this.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if you have a young profile, but 50% utilization on DIscover (especially if the Discover card is a new card), plus a lot of new inquiries, plus a young file or lower FICO that may not support the inquiries could be factors.

High utilization on other cards can factor in as well, even if they may not provide that as a reason. As CC says, though, more information is needed to determine what else in the profile could have spooked them.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

No lates. 2 Baddies from over 5 yrs ago for med collection. There secure message only states that due to recent inquires we have reduced your CL to 590. They approved the card at 1200 four months ago. I pif but carried the balance this month. I will try and pay it off then call and ask what's up.
Message 16 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry to read of your troubles OP. Looks like Discover put the brakes on once you reached 50% util. If you've only been making minimum payments..just a guess. It is a indicator of bad things to come for them. Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out.  I've had at least 10 new inqs since joining Discover almost 6 months ago. Maybe the inqs is a small part of the whole equation in this particular situation?

Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, wait, wait. How long have you even had this card? Discover says that just as they can increase the credit limit, they can also decrease it if they found that you had fallen behind on payments or charged too much to the card. But you're saying they decreased it because of the recent inquiries?

You got 8 inquiries in what time frame?
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

Sorry to read of your troubles OP. Looks like Discover put the brakes on once you reached 50% util. If you've only been making minimum payments..just a guess. It is a indicator of bad things to come for them. Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out.  I've had at least 10 new inqs since joining Discover almost 6 months ago. Maybe the inqs is a small part of the whole equation in this particular situation?

I think he said he's had the card 4 months and pif's but carried the balance this month so not a minimum payment issue.  I just got an IT and they pulled Equifax AND experian on me. 9 inq. On Equifax (including them) and about 16 on Experian. About 9 of those in the last 6 months due to a car loan and more than half of those are not classified under "auto" so they don't seem to be super sensitive to inquiries. Of course it's a great excuse to take AA even if it's for something else

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

They gave me a CLI increase of $5.7k to $9.7k in one month and I'll tell you what, I'll be pis*ed off that I took a hard inquiry from them only to discover they decreased it. Talk about sock drawering that thing for life. 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.