tag
Santi78342
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT Double Cash back rewards

@TheFate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You mean a Discover Deals cap like the category spend? If so, nope! Smiley Very Happy Used the Hotwire deal recently to get 5% back on a $790 room purchase.

Meaning quarterly cap like the $1,500 quarterly cap on the normal 5% calender rewards? Or you can earn as much as you'd like on the online shopping?

Until the double cash actually appears in a year, we don't know for certain, but CSRs are telling everyone that EVERYTHING is doubled.   So you earn as normal, and then get the same amount back after 12 months.   Since Discover Deals doesn't have a cap, this is unchanged, you just get twice the money back.

Now if this happens enough, they could reduce the deal rate on future purchases, but no cap....

I dont think they thought this one all the way thru lol

Lol I'll be disappointed if I don't get at least $500 back this time next year!! 

Message 11 of 24
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I know bc I received my confirmation email. Please note this states ALL cash back earned will be doubled Smiley Tongue

How much will you Double?
We'll double ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year. If you've earned $25 your first year, you'll get another $25. Or if you've earned $100, you'll get another $100. Since we double all your rewards, how much you earn is up to you.

You're thinking very small my friend lol

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I know bc I received my confirmation email. Please note this states ALL cash back earned will be doubled Smiley Tongue

We'll double ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year. If you've earned $25 your first year, you'll get another $25. Or if you've earned $100, you'll get another $100. Since we double all your rewards, how much you earn is up to you.

that's actually from the confirmation email

dblc.png

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Say what? Thats from the FAQ's link Discover sent in the email with my confirmation. I've already earned about $180 dollars in the last couple weeks using Discover Deals Smiley Tongue Macy's and Hotwire are good friends of mine.
Message 14 of 24
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Say what? Thats from the FAQ's link Discover sent in the email with my confirmation. I've already earned about $180 dollars in the last couple weeks using Discover Deals Smiley Tongue Macy's and Hotwire are good friends of mine.

Sorry lol didn't realize you were copying and pasting... Nice rewards!

Message 15 of 24
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

that's actually from the confirmation email

dblc.png

I just got my card today and registered but haven't got that email yet. Should I call them to request it just in case?

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if they send that email at request. but I received it after I contacted them twice for confirmation about my enrollment via chat Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone please tell me how soon after you get approved for this card can you request a CLI?

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFate wrote:

I guess it's more of a confirmation because it sounds too good to be true rather than a question...

So are you saying if I take advantage of the 10% cashback stores offered thru Discovers online shoping I'll bank double on top? That sounds too good to be true.

I should just chat with them to confirm but I wanted to hear others experience with this.. just activated my card today

Yeah. They're pretty much amazing. 

Message 19 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
You mean a Discover Deals cap like the category spend? If so, nope! Smiley Very Happy Used the Hotwire deal recently to get 5% back on a $790 room purchase.

Meaning quarterly cap like the $1,500 quarterly cap on the normal 5% calender rewards? Or you can earn as much as you'd like on the online shopping?

Until the double cash actually appears in a year, we don't know for certain, but CSRs are telling everyone that EVERYTHING is doubled.   So you earn as normal, and then get the same amount back after 12 months.   Since Discover Deals doesn't have a cap, this is unchanged, you just get twice the money back.

Now if this happens enough, they could reduce the deal rate on future purchases, but no cap....

I dont think they thought this one all the way thru lol

Possibly not, but they have some additional features that can reduce their potential payouts:

1) Reduce the rate on popular Discover Deals.   These change all the time, and if they notice too many people are using the one for X, they can easily cut the rate, making the doubling less critical

2) Presumably the merchant pays some fraction of the Discover Deals as a referral fee, so Discover isn't soley responsible

3) Not SO easy to make large amounts.  The heavier hitters with Amex OBC and Citi 5x TYP were getting $5-10K or more PER MONTH in rewards.   Not sure how easy this would be with this deal

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.