Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Miles WiFi credit

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Discover IT Miles WiFi credit

The Miles card gives up to $30 a year for inflight WIfi purchases, a benefit I cared about not at all (at least compared to the 3% cashback!)   Just looking over my last statement though, I see a $25 credit and a $4.99 credit for inflight wifi.

I was pretty sure I didn't use it, and looking more at the actual charges (and the details are on the Discover statement!) , the $25 was first checked bag, the other was some inflight snack.    So, the credit is useful, much wider than inflight Wifi!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT Miles WiFi credit

I don't use the card, but providing info on which airline might help. Different airlines code charges for incidental charges in unique ways. While WIFI is usually not charged through the airline, incidentals in general are not all categorized the same way by airlines. Discover likely goes based on how the transaction is coded. Knowing which airline gave you the credit could help others with datapoints they need to figure out when to use the card. 

Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This was United

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been thinking about asking discover to convert my it to an it miles because it miles come in hot pink and..that's not an option with just it ;p

Plus if I can redeem the miles for $$ then technically 1.5 may pay out for me better than the 5% rotating categories plus 1% everywhere else since I mostly use it to eat, and shop online.

I'm wondering if it's possible? And if so, since it's a pc, and I won't be eligible for the sign up bonus/benefits when I pc will I be able to keep my doublecash (signed up on discover it) that is good for a year?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

why don't you cold app for the miles so you can the 3%?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand about Discover cards, you could only app for a new product every 12 months with them. The CSR may have been talking strictly about the same product though.

As far as the It vs It Miles, if you're using the 5% categories (restaurants last quarter, Amazon the next 2) you're benefits of the It will outweigh the Miles. 5% doubles to 10%, even if you're only getting bonus categories for 1/3 of your spend.
Message 6 of 8
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar situation, used It Miles to buy a fruit and cheese plate on Alaska Airlines, and i got a credit for it, what a surprise!

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From what I understand about Discover cards, you could only app for a new product every 12 months with them. The CSR may have been talking strictly about the same product though.

As far as the It vs It Miles, if you're using the 5% categories (restaurants last quarter, Amazon the next 2) you're benefits of the It will outweigh the Miles. 5% doubles to 10%, even if you're only getting bonus categories for 1/3 of your spend.

Yes, that is the rule.   Unless you get a CSR who tells you that there isn't a rule!   But when I applied for the IT (to get the double promotion) after a double pull (so something doubled!) I get declined because the other card was too recent.   So always safer to wait 12 months.

YMMV on which is better.   I put large amounts each month on what would be 1% (doubled to 2%) spend on the IT, so the Miles is much better for me

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.