Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Secured Credit Card = NOT Automatic

tag
MS103127
New Contributor

Discover IT Secured Credit Card = NOT Automatic

Hello everyone! Cat Happy

For those interested in applying for the Discover IT Secured Credit Card via the standard credit card online route for the Discover IT CC, it is NOT guaranteed that you will automatically receive a counter-offer, especially if you have a negative credit history (I'm around the 500s with baddies -- I'm working on it! Cat Embarassed).

I applied last night, and contacted the backdoor Recon number a little while ago.  The CA politely informed me that if the system didn't automatically counter-offer the secured option along with the flat denial, there's nothing they can do.

I really want this card, especially if it will open the door to opening checking and savings accounts with Discover, so I'm debating applying again over the phone.  Cat Indifferent 

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover IT Secured Credit Card = NOT Automatic

@MS103127 wrote:

For those interested in applying for the Discover IT Secured Credit Card via the standard credit card online route for the Discover IT CC, it is NOT guaranteed that you will automatically receive a counter-offer, especially if you have a negative credit history (I'm around the 500s with baddies -- I'm working on it! Cat Embarassed).

I applied last night, and contacted the backdoor Recon number a little while ago.  The CA politely informed me that if the system didn't automatically counter-offer the secured option along with the flat denial, there's nothing they can do.

I really want this card, especially if it will open the door to opening checking and savings accounts with Discover, so I'm debating applying again over the phone.  Cat Indifferent 

applying over the phone doesn't change anything... it's a rep who inputs it into the same computer and the same computer spits back an answer.

not sure why you couldn't open checking and savings with discover now? don't think the credit card has anything to do with those products being available.

i also would not apply for any credit with 500's credit score especially discover.

Message 2 of 30
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Agreed with credit addict, I applied at around 640 and was denied.  Tried again at 670 and got IT, only a 1000 CL but it was a start and a Discover card.  I wouldnt bother with Discover until your at least in the mid 600's FICO. 

Message 3 of 30
MS103127
New Contributor

Good afternoon, Creditaddict:

Thanks for taking the time to respond back, I appreciate it.

From my basic research and understanding, the checking account is only being offered to current Discover credit card holders (maybe I'm wrong about that).  

The reason why I applied for the unsecured IT card was because I didn't read any personal accounts of rejections for the secured version counter-offer, which is what I was really aiming for.  

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 30
MS103127
New Contributor

Thanks EndlessRoad.  

Again, I know I won't qualify for the unsecured version of the IT, which is why I only wanted the secured counter-offer right now. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

really much better secured cards on the market like Bank of America, first Nationa Bank of omaha has one, usbank... all graduate... the discover, capital one do not graduate.

Message 6 of 30
kchengg1
Contributor

Bank of America Secured graduates?

I thought it didn't graduate - I read somewhere that Bank of America and BofA secured don't graduate..?

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 7 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:

Bank of America Secured graduates?

I thought it didn't graduate - I read somewhere that Bank of America and BofA secured don't graduate..?

oh YES... they are the best in my opinion... unsecure in as little as 9 months!!

Message 8 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@MS103127 wrote:

applying over the phone doesn't change anything... it's a rep who inputs it into the same computer and the same computer spits back an answer.

not sure why you couldn't open checking and savings with discover now? don't think the credit card has anything to do with those products being available.

i also would not apply for any credit with 500's credit score especially discover.

+1

I do also not see why not applying for the checking and/or savings account with Discover Bank. It should be a SP or pull on Chex. I for sure had no HP on any of the CRAs for opening my checking account.  Call the Discover Bank customer service they are very friendly and helpful - great service - similar to Discover Card customer service. Good luck!

Message 9 of 30
MS103127
New Contributor

Already tried with Bank of America a few times.... you can guess the result lol 

Aside from BofA, the Discover IT seems to have potential for being a great secured product.  There is conflicting information about the graduation prospects all over the Internet (one CSR says no; one CSR says Discover wants to; one CSR says yes), so I would classify it as a "maybe" instead of a flat "no" right now.    

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.