cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT declined, Recon declined twice, try again?

tag
matchu
Valued Member

Discover IT declined, Recon declined twice, try again?

Hey all! 

I was declined for a Discover IT card which I really want. My scores are in the low 700s, my uti is great <10%, my AAoA is 5.5 Years, and I have a bankruptcy 6 years out. So I called the recon line a few minutes ago and the lady tells me I wasn't declined, just approved with a joint applicant. I said I didn't want to do a joint applicant and she basically said "Have a nice day, bye!" and hung up. So I called right back and the guy who answered asked if I had just spoken to someone (Chase did the same thing to me, scary!). I said yes, but I would really love the card, I feel like I've shown myself to be a very responsible person over the past six years, my payment history is amazing, my limits have all grown, I really want to close my subprime cards and Discover is my choice, and he flat out denied me as well. 

Is it even worth it to call back? And if so, should I call a third time today or will that show in the computers?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT declined, Recon declined twice, try again?

@matchu wrote:

Hey all! 

I was declined for a Discover IT card which I really want. My scores are in the low 700s, my uti is great <10%, my AAoA is 5.5 Years, and I have a bankruptcy 6 years out. So I called the recon line a few minutes ago and the lady tells me I wasn't declined, just approved with a joint applicant. I said I didn't want to do a joint applicant and she basically said "Have a nice day, bye!" and hung up. So I called right back and the guy who answered asked if I had just spoken to someone (Chase did the same thing to me, scary!). I said yes, but I would really love the card, I feel like I've shown myself to be a very responsible person over the past six years, my payment history is amazing, my limits have all grown, I really want to close my subprime cards and Discover is my choice, and he flat out denied me as well. 

Is it even worth it to call back? And if so, should I call a third time today or will that show in the computers?

If i were you i would just give up for now . Sorry to hear about the declines

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@matchu wrote:

Hey all! 

If you have a joint applicant call them back, if not forget it an try again in 6 months.

Message 3 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Sorry for the denial, but Discover is a hard lender to crack.... and they do not recon.  Best is to reapply later, give it 6more months and try again. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 10
matchu
Valued Member

Ok! Thanks guys!

Message 5 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Your Welcome.

Don't fret so. I just got shot down today for the umpteenth time again for something as simple as a small CLI at my 7 month point they said. Opened actually in August from preapproval but they doved me out of reporting for 2 months. Anyway they keep telling me i can try again anytime Smiley Happy

You keep trying because at some point i would say that it's not too far off before they Will approve you. They excite in bringing in brand new customers from my experience, after that, well it remains to be seen
Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

I was told by a Discover rep that whenever someone does an app, it runs the app against every type of app available. For example IT individual, IT joint, IT secured. And whichever the computer decides is a perfect fit, it will approve you for it. That's how I recently got my secured card from discover. I tried to recon, due to the fact that Equifax likes to remove all my revolving trade lines (which I'm fighting right now). The rep told I was not declined, but the system was only able to approve me for a secured. 

ive heard the stringent requirements needed to get a discover so I bit the bullet, threw down $1000 for the deposit and am just waiting for my card now. I was told they don't do a reconsider, but within a year they might be able to do CLI's for the secured and eventually upgrade it. Here's to hoping!

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 7 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Did they give a reason you were declined for an individual account?  This is really weird because I was approved for an IT in January of this year.  I was at 640 FICO, 2.75 years out of BK and 30-40% util.  I started with only $1000 CL, but I had no problem getting in with Discover.  Like others have said try waiting 6 months and try again...but in all honesty I'm kinda shocked. 

Message 8 of 10
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Did you include Discover in your BK? 

Message 9 of 10
matchu
Valued Member

I did not include Discover in my bankruptcy. 

I'm shocked as well. I've also applied for the Chase Freedom and Barclay Arrival and both denied me as well, with Chase recon approving me for a $500 limit very cautiously and Barclay recon telling me to try again in six months (with part of their reason being my NFL Extra Points has been paid off and I haven't used it?? He told me to use it every month and PIF and reapply for the Arrival). 

I know everybody's situation is different, but I really thought I had everything in place to secure some Prime cards. It's all so confusing. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.