Glen_Livet

Re: Discover IT - do they really want me?

Glad you asked.  I'm trying to fix my credit and establishing a line of revolving credit--while keeping my installment credit in good standing--appears to be the fastest way to get there.  When I say "use" I mean increase the line at as low of a utilization rate as I can.

I went "off the grid" dredit wise a couple of years ago and didn't have any credit cards--I was 100% debit and cash.  It taught me how to live very much within my means, of course.  However, when i suddenly needed to do things last year, like get an appartment and furniture, I found myself getting turned down for financing offers tht I would have never had problems getting 2 years before.

From everything I've read, my credit had taken a dive because of my off-the-grid experimet.

Bureau ......... April 12 .. Feb 13
Equifax ......... 689 ......... 669
Experian ....... 668 ......... 670
TransUnion .. 634 ......... 671

Goal: get a mortgage
Glen_Livet

Holy crap!  They gave me a CL of $10k!  I'm gonna have a sick CU now!  I've been paying cash for everything for the past 2 years.

Wow.  I swear to you guys, I'm not a troll, LOL!

Senior Contributor
john398

Glen_Livet wrote:

Holy crap!  They gave me a CL of $10k!  I'm gonna have a sick CU now!  I've been paying cash for everything for the past 2 years.

Wow what an awesome CL, I guess they did really want you

Valued Contributor
lg8302ch

Glen_Livet wrote:

Congrats Glen ! This is a really nice CL! 

FICO® EQ 800 (as of today) - TU 778 (10/28) * Fako EX 803 (11/02 - CS) * last app 06/01/14 * INQ last 2 yrs TU: 5, EX: 7, EQ: 7

Move the mouse over the cards for detailed view!..................................................................* Silver Spade Garden Club member *

09Lexie

Valued Contributor
Gunnar419

Yeah, to get an initial CL like that from Discover is AAAA-mazing!

I know they seem to have loosened their normally conservative selves up for the It card. But that's still a whomping big CL for them!

Congrats for sure.

Established Contributor
JonStur

Guess its safe to say you are officially on the grid now!!!!

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Glen_Livet

Ha ha... very much ON.

Thanks everyone.

Had another follow-up question... I never thought of this before, but I saw someone else asking about your first purchase on a new card.  I was thinking about buying an airline ticket to inaugurate this thing.  I’m going to Europe this summer with some buddies so the ticket would be about $1,000 or 10% of the CL.  Is this a good idea or a bad idea?  Or, does it not make any difference.  It’s not a cash flow issue.  I could easily just dip into my savings account.

Or, might I also consider opening an airline card when I purchase the ticket.  This would be my 5th or 6th hard inquiry in the past 2 years.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}