Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT - forget to sign up

tag
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Discover IT - forget to sign up

Just curious if anyone has had this experience - 

I could have sworn I was signed up for the gas bonus, so I was putting all my gas on my discover card. One day I was on the account and it wasn't showing up as signed up, so I went ahead and did it. But I had about $175 in gas up to then. Anyone had luck getting Discover to retroactively give the bonus?

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Discover IT - forget to sign up

I don't think so. As even they send message about new sign up. Even will text messGe your number. Hmmm. I see all the time what I'm signed up for. But. I still don't see my total cash back yet. Only had card. 6 weeks. If only 175 in cash. That is only $8.50 cash back. I would not Sweat fighting for that small amount.  Since it's you that did not sign up. I use 1500 a month in gas. Maxed out 5% now I'm only getting 1 % ooh well. 

Message 2 of 14
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Discover CSRs are generally pretty understanding.

There's no harm in sending them a secure message through the online account. If you genuinely believe you had activated it, and there's a tech glitch, I'd hope the CSRs can fix it. In the worst case they won't do it.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lesson to be learned here! make sure you signed up for the next bonus !

Message 4 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@mountainmom wrote:

I could have sworn I was signed up for the gas bonus, so I was putting all my gas on my discover card. One day I was on the account and it wasn't showing up as signed up, so I went ahead and did it. But I had about $175 in gas up to then. Anyone had luck getting Discover to retroactively give the bonus?

Don't feel too bad...that is one for the reasons for "signing up" every quarter instead of just giving you the bonus...the people who forget is money in Discover's pocket. Their email reminders might even be legally necessary for them to do, not because they care about your getting the bonus. Yes, I am not happy with Discover, so take my ranting with a grain of salt (a tiny grain).

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@mountainmom wrote:

Don't feel too bad...that is one for the reasons for "signing up" every quarter instead of just giving you the bonus...the people who forget is money in Discover's pocket. Their email reminders might even be legally necessary for them to do, not because they care about your getting the bonus. Yes, I am not happy with Discover, so take my ranting with a grain of salt (a tiny grain).

Well they may give to keep happy. Somewhere along way op realized he had not checked box. So no need to be upset.  For what. 8 bucks. But they may say in interest to keep customer happy. Here you go. Good luck. 

Message 6 of 14
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@mountainmom wrote:

One of my primary reasons I dislike rotating categories.  They require you to do something on your end for a reason.

Message 7 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

I do agree with the rotating categories thing. It sucks. Cap 1 quick silver good. But 1.5% is not too good. But better than nothing.
Message 8 of 14
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

It literally takes less than 30 seconds to click and signup and if in doubt, reload the page and confirm signup...If you can't do that once every three months, I don't think you deserve 5% cashback honestly.

Message 9 of 14
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:

It literally takes less than 30 seconds to click and signup and if in doubt, reload the page and confirm signup...If you can't do that once every three months, I don't think you deserve 5% cashback honestly.

Lol....."deserve."

This thread is existence proof that mishaps occur.  There are many other situations where someone might miss the signup unintentionally.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.