Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT, how to grow CL?

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover IT, how to grow CL?

Have experience in a large purchase on Disco and paying it off in good sized chunks led to a CLI....

Also know a collegue who did a large BT and near when it was paid off... he saw a large autocli... No Luv button needed...

Hope that helps..

-J

Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pray I suppose, I am almost 4months in and haven't gotten one even though I have run about 2500+ through the card every month and just making multiple large payments. 

Message 22 of 41
joltdude
Senior Contributor

So what statement are you on.. have you gotten your third statement yet? Least for me it was a few days after the third statement.... otherwise think in about 3 more months... you can try as much as you want.. but id wait 31 days between attempts unless you want to get a bunch of denial letters =)

So try the CLI button if you want, not sure if you have... then wait a month and repeat... 

-J

Its 6 months between APR reductions if your not in an intro period or 0%....(or the first year)

Message 23 of 41
arkane
Established Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Have experience in a large purchase on Disco and paying it off in good sized chunks led to a CLI....

Also know a collegue who did a large BT and near when it was paid off... he saw a large autocli... No Luv button needed...

Hope that helps..

-J

I swear for every success story like this I read, there's at least one sob story of heavy use of the card, multiple payments throughout the month, PIF after or even before the statement cuts, carrying a small token balance but all to no avail. Then after said cardholder angrily throws the card in the sock drawer, they magically get a large auto CLI the next month.

Hmmmm as I typed that out, I think maybe the best way to get a CLI from Discover is to never show a consistent pattern and always keep them on their toes. So if one month the card gets heavy usage, the next month don't use the card at all, then the third month make a small token transaction, and the 4th month use 80% of the limit, let it simmer until 2 days before statement cuts, then pay off about 90% of that balance. Fifth month pay each transaction as soon as it posts and let it report a 0 balance, while the sixth month don't make any payments until statement cuts, then PIF the next day.

Well dang, I'm actually tempted to try that out now LOL.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 24 of 41
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Here's a left-field data point:  have more than enough credit when you apply.  I recently applied online for the D-IT card 'cause I wanted a cash-back card. 

I have 4 others cards, with lines of 6, 8.5, 12 & 14K.  Util is ~15%, more or less evenly spread (I'm on the path towards AZEO).  Income sufficient to cover the mortgage on a modest urban dwelling in a good 'hood, contribute to retirement, and still go out and play most weekends or buy the occasional toy.  EQ score of 737 before the card inquiry.

Discover approved me for a 15K line.  I re-read the number to make sure that I wasn't missing a decimal or comma.  (Indeed, I'll almost cerainly lower that line upon activating the card, 'cause I don't want/should not have that much credit - at least, not on that card.)

Could've knocked me over with a feather.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 25 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I hear Discover prefers CanucksSmiley Wink
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tough question....still figuring out myself. DiscoverIt secured was my first credit card a year and a half ago. I started at a 500 limit, then after 7 months they refunded the deposit and graduated me this past March. They moved me to a 1750 limit. In June, I got approved for a $5000 Citi Costco card. I tried a CLI then and they gave me the "not enough experience with the credit limit" rejection. I kept trying once a month. 2 weeks ago, they sent me the same rejection letter even with a TU credit score of 770. On 12/16, Citi offered me a SP increase for my Citi Costco and they raised my limit by $1500 to $6500. They reported my new limit the next day. 2 days later, I hear from Discover saying that they increased my limit to $2350. Interestingly, I applied for an Amex BCE and they gave me $17000 this month. While Discover is giving me a little LUV it is not happening at a rate as fast as Citi or Amex. 

Discover is currently my 2nd most utilized card behind Citi Costco (although the new Amex may take its place). I always pay my balances in full. I did typically let the balance go up to $400-$500 but paid it entirely off before cut date (so my utilization on my reports for the card are typically around 1-2 percent). 

Overall, Discover was a great first credit card for me and it will always have a place in my wallet for the 5 percent rotating catagories, the free FICO score, the hassle free service and website. I am a bit frustrated that they are still keeping me at the 23.99 percent apr and a sub $5000 limit despite my credit score but given that I pay in full, it is sufficient to take advantage of the 5 percent rotating catagory spending. 

Message 27 of 41
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Can try now but go on chat and see if there are any offers on your account... Ask if your eligible for an APR reduction... if that doesnt work.. try again in  march... its usually 6 months between reduction requests.... but usually they offer you 1. a temp (meh) 2. a perm (yes), or... another 12 month 0 on NEW purchases.. or.. a BT offer.. (not what your going for right now i presume)....

Iv partaken in both the perm and 0% for 12 mo offers ... they do entertain apr reductions and its not quite as wonky as CLIs...

Usually have to wait for the initial offer to expire on your account or a year... then you can ask every 6 mos =)

-J

Message 28 of 41
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tough question....still figuring out myself. DiscoverIt secured was my first credit card a year and a half ago. I started at a 500 limit, then after 7 months they refunded the deposit and graduated me this past March. They moved me to a 1750 limit. In June, I got approved for a $5000 Citi Costco card. I tried a CLI then and they gave me the "not enough experience with the credit limit" rejection. I kept trying once a month. 2 weeks ago, they sent me the same rejection letter even with a TU credit score of 770. On 12/16, Citi offered me a SP increase for my Citi Costco and they raised my limit by $1500 to $6500. They reported my new limit the next day. 2 days later, I hear from Discover saying that they increased my limit to $2350. Interestingly, I applied for an Amex BCE and they gave me $17000 this month. While Discover is giving me a little LUV it is not happening at a rate as fast as Citi or Amex. 

Discover is currently my 2nd most utilized card behind Citi Costco (although the new Amex may take its place). I always pay my balances in full. I did typically let the balance go up to $400-$500 but paid it entirely off before cut date (so my utilization on my reports for the card are typically around 1-2 percent). 

Overall, Discover was a great first credit card for me and it will always have a place in my wallet for the 5 percent rotating catagories, the free FICO score, the hassle free service and website. I am a bit frustrated that they are still keeping me at the 23.99 percent apr and a sub $5000 limit despite my credit score but given that I pay in full, it is sufficient to take advantage of the 5 percent rotating catagory spending. 

The Discover card -- despite my personal feelings towards their measly limit and insulting APR -- will remain a very useful card in 2018 due to the categories that all align very well with my spending patterns. The Discover Deals is also a very welcome addition to earn even more cash back as well.

Regarding the part in blue, did you PIF before statement cut before or after you got the CLI from Discover? I'm sticking to the AZEO method while I garden for the next 6 months, and I wanted to make sure Discover wouldn't see a few months of 0 reported balance and deny my CLI request for "insufficient transaction activity" or something like that.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 29 of 41
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, at Discover, $500 increases are their version of Navy's mega increasesSmiley Wink

The tiers:

$300 The South Jamaica Special
$500 The Jim Carey Mask Super Special" We like you , we REALLY like you!
$1000-$1500 Chase maybe bigger but we've Discovered You Special
$1500-$5000 Front row New Years Eve Disco Ball Invitee Special
$5000 - $20000 The Executive Lounge Playa's Ball Special

$0-$0 AJC'S Credit Curiosity Spectacular Special

Smiley Happy

*** to newbs this is not real, though in fairness to reality, if you dont believe it MIGHT be real, just ask SJ on those $300 increasesSmiley Wink

$incerely AJC ESQUIRE, THE 3RDSmiley Happy

You crack me up AJC.... how could you remember the South Jamaica Special?

I waited 9 months for my last Discover CLI, applying at least once or twice a month. Finally they gave me one. For guess what? Another lousy $300 Smiley Happy I started out at $1k with them back in March '15, and almost every CLI I've received has been for $300.

As I've said in the past, my theory is that the CLI's are determined by a group of monkeys with keyboards.

Only in my case, the key is stuck on 300.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.