Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT only for US residents?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT only for US residents?

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the forum and to credit building as well. I'm here on a visa and started building my credit history 8months ago, after getting approved for a Chase Freedom based on my banking history with Chase (been a checking client of theirs for two years). I'm considering applying for more cards to get the benefits and, of course, build up my score. Discover has been spamming me for months (literally--at least two mails per week) so now I decided why the heck, let's give a try to their IT card, at least they can get me my FICO score for free.

After filling out their application with a pre-approved offer code, however, I noticed the small print "I hereby confirm that I'm 18 years or older and a US resident" so I cancelled the app process right away! Any ideas whether they mean US residents in a legal sense or just generally people currently residing in the US? I have an SSN and work permit, so I had no problems with getting the Freedom card.

Should I try it anyway? My EQ score is 750 (FICO), so I think my chances should be pretty good. Also, I started out with $500 on the Freedom, which just increased to $4000 after I asked for a CLI.  Three pulls on my EQ, and three on my EX, as far as I know. Income 43k.

(Also, unrelated: do you think I have a chance with the Amex Blue Cash? I really want to get my foot in the door with them.)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT only for US residents?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the forum and to credit building as well. I'm here on a visa and started building my credit history 8months ago, after getting approved for a Chase Freedom based on my banking history with Chase (been a checking client of theirs for two years). I'm considering applying for more cards to get the benefits and, of course, build up my score. Discover has been spamming me for months (literally--at least two mails per week) so now I decided why the heck, let's give a try to their IT card, at least they can get me my FICO score for free.

After filling out their application with a pre-approved offer code, however, I noticed the small print "I hereby confirm that I'm 18 years or older and a US resident" so I cancelled the app process right away! Any ideas whether they mean US residents in a legal sense or just generally people currently residing in the US? I have an SSN and work permit, so I had no problems with getting the Freedom card.

Should I try it anyway? My EQ score is 750 (FICO), so I think my chances should be pretty good. Also, I started out with $500 on the Freedom, which just increased to $4000 after I asked for a CLI.  Three pulls on my EQ, and three on my EX, as far as I know. Income 43k.

(Also, unrelated: do you think I have a chance with the Amex Blue Cash? I really want to get my foot in the door with them.)

Thanks!

Hey godspell! Welcome to the forums!

I know you have your visa, but do you have a green card? That is what usually differentiates between resident vs. non-resident. I also found this little tidbit on being classified as a resident:

2. Substantial Presence Test

A non-resident alien is classified as a resident alien for tax purposes if they were physically present in the U.S. for 31 days during the current year and 183 days during a three-year period that includes the current year and the two years immediately before that.

Information on the test is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

I'm pretty sure though that a few non-residents have gotten the Discover IT. I would recommend calling in and apping over the phone just to cover your butt in case of anything!

Happy apping and good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

Call Discover and ask about the resident issue. I think you just have to live in the US but they can clarify this.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the super-quick reply, 

Message 4 of 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Just call and mention you have the preapproval and then ask about residency. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you're right, I just first wanted to know if someone had any experience with this. People often don't like when you tell them you're not actually a resident.

In general, do you guys think I should give a shot to the Amex Blue first (or at all)? Or I should just stick with the IT?

Message 6 of 18
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the super-quick reply, daybreakgonesXe!

Yes, I know the legal requirements for US residents and in that sense I am a nonresident alien (you've got to love that term!). I was just not sure they really meant the legal definition or just generally did not want any applications from people living outside the US. 

Can I also use my preapproved code over the phone?

No problem at all! And yes, it is indeed, I feel, a very out-dated term nowadays.

I'm pretty sure they still accept applications from people living outside the "50-state" USA, just probably not online. You can most certainly use your pre-approved code over the phone!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, call to (attempt to) clarify if you wish (doubt if a CSR will know) but to me it is clear that it just means a US address.    If it meant permanent resident, or IRS/CBP definitions, it would also have to include "US Citizen" in the text as well.  So they don't care about immigration status, just want a US address, and US citizens outside the country probably cant get it.

Message 8 of 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you're right, I just first wanted to know if someone had any experience with this. People often don't like when you tell them you're not actually a resident.

In general, do you guys think I should give a shot to the Amex Blue first (or at all)? Or I should just stick with the IT?

If it was me I would make sure your CLI reports for a CL on any new cards. Other card companies will try to match current limits. Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, I'm not sure I completely get that... It should report, right? 

Sorry for asking stupid questions and thanks a lot for all the help! 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.