Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT or Freedom for Amazon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT or Freedom for Amazon

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am in minority over here i would take 5x UR> 5% cashback everyday of the week , that is including the 2% bonus discover is giving. I know for sure i would be able to use my UR at better than 2 cpp that is probably the only reason.

It's actually a doubling, not 2% bonus...so it would be 5x UR vs. 10% cashback. Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on a few things.  If you have a specific UR redemention in mind, Freedom might be better to make sure you make it.

Also, Discover has far more categories.  If there is any chance you would be purchasing near the cap for Discover over this quater (on those other categories), then go with Freedom for Amazon.

All things equal, 10% is PROBABLY the better choice.

If you go with Freedom, just make sure you don't go over 1.5k (unless you have more than one, obviously).

I don't have discover, so I just dropped 957 USD on Freedom today (been saving up purchases for months, waiting on the category).

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both and it is Discover It for me (including gift card purchases on Amazon).  10% cash back is just too good to pass up, but as a statement credit guy the UR points aren't worth as much (not a traveler).

Message 13 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am in minority over here i would take 5x UR> 5% cashback everyday of the week , that is including the 2% bonus discover is giving. I know for sure i would be able to use my UR at better than 2 cpp that is probably the only reason.

It's actually a doubling, not 2% bonus...so it would be 5x UR vs. 10% cashback. Smiley Tongue

yeah i worded that poorly , but I still think 5x UR is better than 10% cashback for my needs. I realize i am in the minority people would rather have cash in hand then look for best value with UR. With that being said with my amazon spend this quarter i am going to split it up between freedom and discover.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember that the Discover is also 5% 'now' and 5% at promotions end. Still probably the way I'd go, but if I thought I might be wanting to use the UR in the near future, it could be that that's the way to go (but likely not). 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.