Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT student card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT student card

Hello all,

I have a question in regards to my Discover IT student card. I got the card a year ago and since then my score has gone up over 60 points across all 3 bureaus. The only CLI I have gotten has been an auto CLI from 750-> 1050. Every time I apply for a CLI they want to pull my credit report. Is this because I have the student card or another reason? Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT student card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I have a question in regards to my Discover IT student card. I got the card a year ago and since then my score has gone up over 60 points across all 3 bureaus. The only CLI I have gotten has been an auto CLI from 750-> 1050. Every time I apply for a CLI they want to pull my credit report. Is this because I have the student card or another reason? Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. I got my Discover student card 3 years ago and it has had extremely limited growth. Requests for a HP are the only messages I get from the CLI button. Mine was supposedly converted to a regular Discover card when I graduated, but I still suspect that the account is still flagged in someway as a student product. I've been tempted to close the card and get a new Discover IT; however, I only use the card exclusively for category spending, which doesn't require a very large CL at all with a cap on the 5% categories. Many of my approvals for new cards nowadays are in the 15,000-20,000+ range, yet I'm stuck with a 3,000 Discover IT. Can't have it all I guess. I was around 700 when I got my Discover card. My scores are currently around 755-770. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. The IT card was my first card so I probably will never be able to close mine. I just get aggravated especially if you consider my new Amex revolver that has the ability to grow up to around 25k. Im not sure if anyone knows but would I be able to apply for a IT card in the future and combine the two into one?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far as I know you can't have 2 It cards but you CAN have more than one Discover (so if you wanted an It card and an It Chrome or an It Miles you can, apparently).

As for the card losing the student flag once you graduate, if you think it hasn't you can call and ask. Discover's customer service is pretty great.

Now, as for Discover's CLIs -- THAT is the question. They are a very, very, very funny lender when it comes to that. It may be a while before it gets love or it may start getting huge autolove or it may never get love. It's unpredictable and completely YMMV with Discover.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am exaclty in same situation. I opened my Discover it Student November 2014 with 1000 limit and not one increase . They want to do a hard pull and I wont Waste an inquiry for that since I have Barclay MC, cAP 1 VISA, MC, VENTURE, FNBO AM EX ,TOTAL REWARDS, all with much higher limits. I called yesterday since it was my 1 year anniversary of opening the card and told me my next automatic review will either be 6 months or another year from now. I am going to put in sock drawer.    

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.