Did you mean: 

Discover IT vs Discover IT Student

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT vs Discover IT Student

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone with a regular It card send an invitation to their secondary email to test if it's for the normal It and not student?

I'm pretty sure this theory is true. 

I will be applying for another It card on my 19th birthday in July to test Discover's bs algorithm.

@Anonymous, I tried to explain that in my post. My DW with a card that started as Discover Student that they swear is no longer Student in their system, send student invitation. My Discover IT that started as regular card, send regular invitation.

You are only 18 and you applied for Discover last July, right? Did you put a graduation date on your app? can you find it in your profile? I don't know how 'smart' their system is, maybe it can still see you as a student and deny your application next month. I'm sure that if they approve your app, it will be with a good limit. Good luck.

Yup, that's what got me thinking and wanting to get to the bottom of this....and I see, I only read the student part gives you student invitation.

I did put a grad date, but I changed it in my profile to last year so I could get out of the student status. Why would they deny?

Message 21 of 27
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup, that's what got me thinking and wanting to get to the bottom of this....and I see, I only read the student part gives you student invitation.

I did put a grad date, but I changed it in my profile to last year so I could get out of the student status. Why would they deny?

I don't know. Is my pessimistic personality. If they have something wrong with their system that put a mark on a student card to limit the growth, I don't know if they have something else in place that will limit the chance for approval. I hope not, and maybe not, but nothing is 100% sure.

Your credit profile is not the typical 18/19 year old profile. I read that age is not a factor on FICO but I don't know if some lenders have some variable in their system to use that as a risk factor.

In the end, don't listen to me. I don't want to hold you back. You have a great income, very good cards and just starting your own journey. If you get a new Discover card without limit growth 1 year later will be better for you than wait a few years to take that step.

My DW got 500->3,000 with auto-CLI after 1 year and nothing at year 2. So I say, go for your second Discover and good luck.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know. Is my pessimistic personality. If they have something wrong with their system that put a mark on a student card to limit the growth, I don't know if they have something else in place that will limit the chance for approval. I hope not, and maybe not, but nothing is 100% sure.

Your credit profile is not the typical 18/19 year old profile. I read that age is not a factor on FICO but I don't know if some lenders have some variable in their system to use that as a risk factor.

In the end, don't listen to me. I don't want to hold you back. You have a great income, very good cards and just starting your own journey. If you get a new Discover card without limit growth 1 year later will be better for you than wait a few years to take that step.

My DW got 500->3,000 with auto-CLI after 1 year and nothing at year 2. So I say, go for your second Discover and good luck.

Unfotunately slow growth is not exclusive to student cards. I know folks have had success with growing their IT credit limits. However, there are still folks, like myself, that haven't been so lucky. 

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't apply for another IT, but do your research. You are at the beginning of your credit journey and all of your cards will grow as long as you use your credit wisely. Remember a long, solid, and excellent credit profile is a journey not a race. Good luck!Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I can now confirm that my Discover It is still flagged in some way as a student card despite what those CSRs say on the phone. My 3 month old Discover It Miles (not a student card) just received a SP CLI, which I have never seen in the 4 years I've had my Discover More/It (student) card. As usual, it has the same HP message that has always appeared for years now. I think what I will probably attempt to do is close out my regular Discover It and product change the It Miles once its promo period is finished, if permitted. 

It might be difficult for Takeshi to believe, but sometimes there are factors outside of the cardholder's control when it comes to cards that simply don't grow to useable limits. There's clearly some kind of cap or limitation implemented in Discover's system for student cards that even the CSRs can't view, or they refuse to acknowledge. 

Message 24 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think that it's clear that if you have a card that starts out as "student", that status remains, even if hidden, for the life of the account. They simply do not grow as much as the "non student" versions.

Probably best to avoid stressing about it and just apply for a new, non-student card instead of trying to force Discover to make a "starting" card grow because it likely won't happen.

Message 25 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Kdm, with all due respect, it obviously isn't "clear" if there are so many recent inquiries about it. Nobody is stressing about anything, and we are simply discussing a topic that is relevant and important to those affected as there has been misinformation provided by Discover themselves. The only individuals forcing anything are those who are choosing to post in a thread that probably doesn't apply to them anyway.

Message 26 of 27
jacetx
Valued Contributor

I received my new card yesterday and registered online. Checked the CLI feature and it lets me request one unlike my Student card on which it was disabled for several months. 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.