Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT vs Discover IT Student

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT vs Discover IT Student

I think as someone mentioned, at the end of the day, each profile is different, as well each one's experiences with a lender. It's very hard to gauge anymore what will or should happen when it comes to growing a card.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 11 of 27
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

I posted a few days ago the tale of 2 Discover cards, my DW with Student that started at $500 (now $3,000) and mine that started at $1,000 (now at $19,000) after a little over 2 years.

Here is the post:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-tale-of-2-Discover-cards/td-p/4612408

I think somewhere in their system there is a 'student' variable still in place.

Well, go figure. I applied for the regular Discover and was approved for $4k. I want to test my theory so I will see how fast this one grows.

Message 12 of 27
newhis
Valued Contributor

@jace8602 wrote:

Well, go figure. I applied for the regular Discover and was approved for $4k. I want to test my theory so I will see how fast this one grows.

So now you have a 4.8K Discover IT that started as student and a brand new 4K Discover IT, or did you get the 'miles' version?

Thank you for doing this and good luck.

Message 13 of 27
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

So now you have a 4.8K Discover IT that started as student and a brand new 4K Discover IT, or did you get the 'miles' version?

Thank you for doing this and good luck.

I got the Disover IT. I have the feeling this new one will grow faster.

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, so just to clarify, you current have a Student It, and just got approved for the normal It? (Not miles)

Hmm I've heard that you can only have one It and one It miles. Guess the student version doesn't count?
Message 15 of 27
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wait, so just to clarify, you current have a Student It, and just got approved for the normal It? (Not miles)

Hmm I've heard that you can only have one It and one It miles. Guess the student version doesn't count?

The student version was converted to the regular IT, yesterday I was approved for another regular IT. I was told by the CSR in the new accounts department that you can have two IT cards.

Message 16 of 27
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

My DW Discover card started at $500 and went to $750 and has stayed there... Even after I've ran $5500 on that card this year alone!!! And PIF, and she has all her ther limits at 15k+ with some being 30k+. It just varies I suppose. They're very generous with some and not with others Smiley Surprised
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The student version was converted to the regular IT, yesterday I was approved for another regular IT. I was told by the CSR in the new accounts department that you can have two IT cards.

This is good information. When I graduate I will just apply for a regular IT. (I didn't even realize I got the student version - I'm an adult student back in nursing school and was trying to be honest on the app, I didn't realize that mattered. Ugh) Thanks! 

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone with a regular It card send an invitation to their secondary email to test if it's for the normal It and not student?

I'm pretty sure this theory is true. 

I will be applying for another It card on my 19th birthday in July to test Discover's bs algorithm.

Message 19 of 27
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone with a regular It card send an invitation to their secondary email to test if it's for the normal It and not student?

I'm pretty sure this theory is true. 

I will be applying for another It card on my 19th birthday in July to test Discover's bs algorithm.

@Anonymous, I tried to explain that in my post. My DW with a card that started as Discover Student that they swear is no longer Student in their system, send student invitation. My Discover IT that started as regular card, send regular invitation.

You are only 18 and you applied for Discover last July, right? Did you put a graduation date on your app? can you find it in your profile? I don't know how 'smart' their system is, maybe it can still see you as a student and deny your application next month. I'm sure that if they approve your app, it will be with a good limit. Good luck.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.