Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT vs. Discover More

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Discover IT vs. Discover More

Discover IT vs. Discover More:  was kinda wondering what exactly the major difference is?  Tried searching previous threads and noticed that someone had mentioned the IT was like or based on the More, only with better or improved rewards.  I also read that IT has rotating 5% categories like More, and someone had said that there were differences between the 2 cards but had not provided additional detail as to how.  Can anyone please provide more info?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT vs. Discover More

@galahad15 wrote:

Discover IT vs. Discover More:  was kinda wondering what exactly the major difference is?  Tried searching previous threads and noticed that someone had mentioned the IT was like or based on the More, only with better or improved rewards.  I also read that IT has rotating 5% categories like More, and someone had said that there were differences between the 2 cards but had not provided additional detail as to how.  Can anyone please provide more info?

It's been a long time since I've had a Discover More, but if I recall correctly, the Discover More wasn't quite a 1% card for noncategory spending. It was something like .25% for the first $3000. Eventually, you would start getting the full 1% for categories not under the 5% promotions after spending enough money on the card.

The IT card is a much better card than the More. 

Message 2 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Yes it is better but to simply break it down. Yes they both have 5% sometimes. The main difference is when there is no 5% catagory. you only earn .025 as opposed to 1% on the it when you are not in the promo catagory. So if it is say Gas. Then you get 5%.plus 1% on none gas related items. The More will not give you1% on the other item. you get a percentage of 1% so basically you earn more with the it in the long run. I could be wrong on the .025% but it for sure is not 1%

Message 3 of 9
iv
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

It's been a long time since I've had a Discover More, but if I recall correctly, the Discover More wasn't quite a 1% card for noncategory spending. It was something like .25% for the first $3000. Eventually, you would start getting the full 1% for categories not under the 5% promotions after spending enough money on the card.

Yep, that's the difference...

@Sharingan wrote:

...but "much" better?  The difference between the .25% and the 1% on the first $3,000 is $22.50.

Not sure $22.50/year was really a game changer.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 4 of 9
PNW_Hunter
Regular Contributor

I'd be willing to bet most people on these forums don't use the discover IT for non category spending, but I agree, the IT is a better card and their go forward offering.
Message 5 of 9
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

...but "much" better?  The difference between the .25% and the 1% on the first $3,000 is $22.50.

Yes, it is "much better." I based my opinion on several factors. For example, if you were just a bit more informed, you'd also know that the Discover More was capped at .25% at warehouse clubs (regardless of overall spending on the card) while the Discover IT has no such restriction. The IT card was a decent option at such places before the emergence of $0 AF 2% cards. So your assessment isn't quite accurate. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

DMore Rewards.png

This is how Gmas More log in looks. I have the IT card myself. She has had Discover since 1986 and has had every single card they've changed her to when they would launch the new cards. However she has not been upgraded to the IT card yet. And she refuses to request a cli! She uses this card when she travels and goes on Vacations. It literally only gets used one month out of the year! 

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@iv wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Yes, it is "much better." I based my opinion on several factors. For example, if you were just a bit more informed, you'd also know that the Discover More was capped at .25% at warehouse clubs (regardless of overall spending on the card) while the Discover IT has no such restriction. The IT card was a decent option at such places before the emergence of $0 AF 2% cards. So your assessment isn't quite accurate. 

Well, much better is still an individual judgement, and it's not just 2% cards, there have been free 1.25 & 1.5% cards for a very long time, any of which would be better at warehouse clubs than either Discover IT or More.      

But I don't think there is a place where the More is better than IT, so from that point of view, if it is relatively painless to switch, you might as well do it.

Message 8 of 9
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@iv wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Well, much better is still an individual judgement, and it's not just 2% cards, there have been free 1.25 & 1.5% cards for a very long time, any of which would be better at warehouse clubs than either Discover IT or More.      

But I don't think there is a place where the More is better than IT, so from that point of view, if it is relatively painless to switch, you might as well do it.

And in the case of Sam's Club, how many of those 1.25 and 1.5% cards were usable there with no AF? Discover has been accepted there for a while now while AmEx just started. Visa is still not an option. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.