Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT

tag
guardmama04
New Contributor

Discover IT

So I closed on my first morgtage a couple weeks ago and had an itch to apply for the discover it. I only have on true prime card "barclay NFL" which has been lovely to me...started at $500 limit about 8 months ago and have since been bumped to $4500 however the other two cards are secures...bleh. Anyhow I got approved for the Discover "it" with a crappy $500 limit, I am excited to know they accepted me since about a year and a half ago I was DEINED. Anyhow they wouldn't consider an increase, is this card worth activating and does it grow? Also what are some recommended cards to obtain before I go to the garden. Figured once I had some credit in line I would sit back & relax...Smiley Happy

In My Wallet: Barlclay NFL $4500 | Capital One Secured $300 | First Progress Secured $300| Walmart $600| New York & Company $500| Kohls $300| Discover IT $3000| Sears Citi|$4000|Walmart $800
First car lease $370 month August 2013
Signed First Mortgage August 2013
Starting Score: 581 EQ
Current Score: 658 EQ
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover IT

@guardmama04 wrote:

So I closed on my first morgtage a couple weeks ago and had an itch to apply for the discover it. I only have on true prime card "barclay NFL" which has been lovely to me...started at $500 limit about 8 months ago and have since been bumped to $4500 however the other two cards are secures...bleh. Anyhow I got approved for the Discover "it" with a crappy $500 limit, I am excited to know they accepted me since about a year and a half ago I was DEINED. Anyhow they wouldn't consider an increase, is this card worth activating and does it grow? Also what are some recommended cards to obtain before I go to the garden. Figured once I had some credit in line I would sit back & relax...Smiley Happy

You might as well go ahead and activate it, since it will be on your reports anyway, and you've already taken the hit for the inquiry.

They can be good with CLIs but it depends on what your credit report looks like.  What are the negatives / derogatory accounts showing?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 11
02whiteem2
Established Member

Discover likes usage. In my experience they are willing to overlook other "baddies' if you treat them right. I have relatively high util across the board (about 50%) , but I always spend up to my limit and PIF with discover. In a little over a year I went from a $400 cl to a $4250 cl. Not my highest Cl but my highest has been open for almost 8 years.  If you treat them well they will treat you well. ShopDiscover is a great place to buy things and get cashback easily as well.

Message 3 of 11
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

As others have said, go ahead and activate it.  If you use it a fair amount, they will probably be good with CLIs.  They started me with a 1700 limit in Nov. 11, which I was not happy about, but they increased it to 4000 this past February (and also gave me a year of interest free purchasing to get me to use the card more), and I'm glad I kept the tradeline open.

Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your closing. Discover likes usage and with the upcoming holiday shopping bonus you might make some money too ! The CLI policy was recently changed to 3 mos.

Worth activating IMO
Message 5 of 11
guardmama04
New Contributor

Thanks guys I will open it, is it worth me applying for the Quicksilver Capital one card? I currently have a secured card with them that really does me no good, its $300.

In My Wallet: Barlclay NFL $4500 | Capital One Secured $300 | First Progress Secured $300| Walmart $600| New York & Company $500| Kohls $300| Discover IT $3000| Sears Citi|$4000|Walmart $800
First car lease $370 month August 2013
Signed First Mortgage August 2013
Starting Score: 581 EQ
Current Score: 658 EQ
Goal Score: 750
Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Have you thought about a GE card? Like Lowes for home improvement with the new home
Message 7 of 11
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I think you get 5% off when you use the Lowes card.  Sounds like a good one for you.

Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats on the new home and Discover card.

Walmart also may be within your reach and the free fico score is a plus. They pull TU

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 11
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

I'm thinking of bring out the IT Card from SD Status, tomorrow i'm going to do some service calls around NJ and Company employees never keep the company van at full
and next week i may be going to (drive) Chicago and requires lots of gas and food money thankfully it'll be all reimbursed when i get back and on payday

considering IT/Freedom or capital one Quicksilver One

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.