Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT

How accurate are their "preapprovals"? They say I am preapproved. I am going to make another app the same day.

Message 11 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Discover is pretty accurate. Just read the pre qualified offer closely.
Message 12 of 30
Peter1142
Established Contributor

The offer I get in the mail is just an invitation to apply... on their website if I do the prequal search is says "preapproved".

Message 13 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like they want you, if the feeling is mutual I would go for it!
Message 14 of 30
Peter1142
Established Contributor

ya it's mutual!! I want it! I've been in the garden over a year now the only inqs on my report are the mortgage inqs.

I am going to app a large 7.5k in Raymour in Flanigan, wondering which order to do them in. But I definitely also need a nice 0% intro APR card, the Lowes/Home Depot cards are 0% APR I think but why waste a new account and inq on that when all the prime cards (that I finally qualify for!) are 1+ year no interest.

Message 15 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

It probably doesn't matter what order Lowes/Home Depot and Discover occur, maybe do Discover first. Raymour and Flanigan appears to be backed by Wells Fargo and I can't speak knowledgeably on them. I would personally look for a 0% offer like Chase Freedom or Citi TYP so you're at least getting some rewards for your purchase plus the 0%
Message 16 of 30
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Yeah but the Raymour and Flanigan will give me up to 4 years no interest... Yes they are backed by Wells. I do not think they are picky. Sometimes I think they may ask for a little cash up front.

I wasn't going to do the Lowes as I didn't want to overdo it. My file is a little thin for a massive app spree and I will be having a new mortgage hit soon on my AAoA also.

Message 17 of 30
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

No BK on her file, if I stated that I apologize, didn't mean to. 

We/she are working on the utility....should be around 10-15% by the end of March. 

I meant to mention the Inq.  She has 3...recent on the TU...I mention TU because it is her highest score that we know.  Score watch shows EQ at 599.  Don't know her EX score.  The inquiries are for the goRewards, NavCheck (declined), and a Wal Mart card (declined, which still is odd to me but I digress Smiley Very Happy).

I appreciate all of the advice, and I realize that it is a virtual crap shoot with any creditor and trying to guage whether or not they will approve. But reading through the boards there was so much mixed bag information that I thought I would ask in my own thread. 

Again, the more advice the better and it is greatly appreciated.

Message 18 of 30
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

@Eyisila wrote:

No BK on her file, if I stated that I apologize, didn't mean to. 

We/she are working on the utility....should be around 10-15% by the end of March. 

I meant to mention the Inq.  She has 3...recent on the TU...I mention TU because it is her highest score that we know.  Score watch shows EQ at 599.  Don't know her EX score.  The inquiries are for the goRewards, NavCheck (declined), and a Wal Mart card (declined, which still is odd to me but I digress Smiley Very Happy).

I appreciate all of the advice, and I realize that it is a virtual crap shoot with any creditor and trying to guage whether or not they will approve. But reading through the boards there was so much mixed bag information that I thought I would ask in my own thread. 

Again, the more advice the better and it is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, this was me (Jarnog the OP)....forgot I was on my wife's account LOL.

But yea, what I said under her username.  Also, I believe someone asked how old the cards were.  The store (cart) cards are 2 months as is the goReward.  The NFCU secured is 2+ years, Cap 1 Secured 2+years, Cap 1 Quicksilver one, 4 months.

Message 19 of 30
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

Was wondering if anyone could give advice on approval odds?

I know that I would most likely get declined (595 TU score from here as of Jan 20th). 

But my DW wants to app.  She just pulled her TU score from here and it says 644.  She currently has a few cards as follows:

Cap 1 Secured $300

Cap 1 Quicksilver One $500

NFCU goRewards $4000

NFCU Secured $600 (joint card with me)

And a couple of the "cart trick cards"  $250 limit on all

I know I have read through the boards and seen people approved with less and most of the time they look at TU.  We are in rebuild mode - about halfway thru it all, and would love to get "in" with Discover.  Just hate to get that HP.  She did try the pre-qualify thing, but no luck - just says we recommend this and shows the IT card. 

She has a few baddies on her report, all medical and over 2 years old...we are working on those atm. 

Utilization is around 30% total

And the cart cards and goRewards are basically new - 2 statements into those

Any advice is greatly appreciated Smiley Very Happy

IMO, I think a 644 with some baddies is borderline. YMMV, as with all things credit, but perhaps if you got your util below 10% would help. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.