cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover International Acceptance Experience?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover International Acceptance Experience?

Morning all! Smiley Happy I've seen the Discover acceptance map but was hoping to get a few responses that would let me know of recent personal experiences trying to use Discover overseas. Dont think I want Arrival+ reporting to my personal credit (or any other card) at this point dragging my AAoA down again. Im super happy with how far I've come in such a short period of time thanks to most here in this community and generally satisfied with my current line up. Would rather get Ink Cash in May if possible, close my other two Chase cards and end up with a total of only four. Or if that doesnt work out close Freedom and still end up with four.
Visa/MasterCard/Discover/American Express - diverse fantastic four Smiley Very Happy

I'll have to work on CLI's with Discover and plan to request one every three months. If I need to take an inquiry hit so be it. I knew going in patience would be key with this lender so not in a major rush but getting to 6k over the next two years or less would be appreciated. Really love this card but cant get very far purchasing travel with a $1500 limit at the moment.

Anyone with recent experience please let me know how it turned out for you. Of course I'll bring back up cards but since this is my only no FTF card it would be nice to use if accepted. Looking to travel internationally at least twice a year so not a lot. Couple places on my list are Japan, Ireland, Indonesia, Australia, Italy, Egypt, Thailand.
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover International Acceptance Experience?

I haven't tried using Discover in any of the places on your list, just several in Latin America, where Discover's mostly useless outside of big cities.

I hear, although I don't have personal experience, that Discover is THE card to have if you're visiting China.

Their overseas acceptance is growing, but like everything else Discover does, growing slowly. Love that no-FTF feature, just wish it could be used more!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats the kind of answer I was expecting Smiley Happy No bueno in Latin America for now, got it. Thanks!
Message 3 of 18
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I lived in Japan for over 6 years and my experience with cards in general is that most places are cash-based (sure big hotels, department stores, etc will take them, but using non-issued Japanese cards can be a pain). Depending on how international the store/place is, they may or may not be able to take your card (and you might get a stubborn Japanese clerk that doesn't realize Discover runs on the JCB network). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. Thanks Callandra
Message 5 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Japan and Thailand are not too bad ...but still you need to bring a VI or MC. In Europe it is a bit worse. I have been using my Discover in Europe and Asia whenever the network allowed it. Smiley Happy In Asia there are still many smaller places that do not accept CCs at all. I spent over 1 month in Cambodia and could not use the credit cards at all.  Vietnam was slightly better with paying +3% commission for the use of CCs. So make sure to take a good ATM card with you. (a card that refunds the ATM fees)  Even in Europe there still many places that do not take CCs.. not like the US where you can go for many months and not need a single $  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

Japan and Thailand are not too bad ...but still you need to bring a VI or MC. In Europe it is a bit worse. I have been using my Discover in Europe and Asia whenever the network allowed it. Smiley Happy In Asia there are still many smaller places that do not accept CCs at all. I spent over 1 month in Cambodia and could not use the credit cards at all.  Vietnam was slightly better with paying +3% commission for the use of CCs. So make sure to take a good ATM card with you. (a card that refunds the ATM fees)  Even in Europe there still many places that do not take CCs.. not like the US where you can go for many months and not need a single $  Smiley Happy

Great info, thanks so much Smiley Happy Cash is cool with me. I'll just be happy to get there and plan accordingly. This might be a silly question but if you book an international trip online and its charged in U.S. currency that wouldnt incur any FTF right? I assumed that FTF only applied when using the card while in the destination country but I dont want to assume incorrectly and be surprised.

Message 7 of 18
BottomRanker
New Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

(and you might get a stubborn Japanese clerk that doesn't realize Discover runs on the JCB network). 

My understanding is that JCB merchants have to apply to accept Discover cards with JCB.  As documented elsewhere, there are many chains which accept JCB and do not accept Discover (probably because they don't want to pay to apply).

And if we're talking about online retailers, no JCB merchants accept Discover... or I've yet to find one, anyway.

And remember, Diners Club in Japan is worthless to Discover cardholders, because Discover will not be accepted as a Diners Club.  If your Discover card works in Japan, it's because it ran as a JCB.

Message 8 of 18
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@BottomRanker wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

(and you might get a stubborn Japanese clerk that doesn't realize Discover runs on the JCB network). 

My understanding is that JCB merchants have to apply to accept Discover cards with JCB.  As documented elsewhere, there are many chains which accept JCB and do not accept Discover (probably because they don't want to pay to apply).

And if we're talking about online retailers, no JCB merchants accept Discover... or I've yet to find one, anyway.

And remember, Diners Club in Japan is worthless to Discover cardholders, because Discover will not be accepted as a Diners Club.  If your Discover card works in Japan, it's because it ran as a JCB.

Ohh, they have to apply, I did not know that!! Thanks for the information Cat Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 9 of 18
Kellan
Regular Contributor

I have both experience with Thailand and Japan. Thailand is mostly a cash country. While places do take credit cards you can not use them everywere. As far as using my discover I tried to use my discover card a couple of times. In Thailand it is through the Diners network. The few times I tried the merchant always told me they didn't take the card. And even though I speak some Thai I couldnt get the merchant just to try it. If you need a cash advance against your discover you can get it in Thailand. Bangkok bank is one of the most friendly to Farang. And there are all over. 

Japan the only time I tried was in NRT airport. I tried to use it at McDonalds. In Japan it is the JCB network. McDonalds in the airport takes both Diners and JCB so the card should work. The woman running the register refused to try and told me I had to have a Visa or MC. I showed her the Diners logo on the back and she was insitant that I use a visa or mc. 

My experience is always that the merchant is unwilling.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.