Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Invitation

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Discover Invitation

Went to the mailbox today and there was an invitation to apply for a card from Discover. I am thinking this is just a targeted mailing and not a pre-approval. There is an invitation number if that really means anything. I go through the "Find My Offer" on Discover's website and do actually get a "personalized offer" where in the past I have only had "we don't find anything". However, there is a range for the interest rate and not a fixed number, so I'm guessing it's not firm.

Wasn't planning on coming out of the garden until this summer, but the Discover IT is one of the 2 cards I would love to have to finish my portfolio. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Invitation

The word "input" is pretty vague, but here's my $0.02. The card is great and Discover is great. If you can get a lot of use out of that card, then it might be worth getting out of the garden for. The limits on your card look pretty solid. If I'd have to guess, you'd probably land between $1,500 - $3,000 for a starting limit. Discover does tend to be pretty conservative. The categories for the rest of the year are still TBA, but ground transportation for this quarter is pretty dope. Overall, the rotating categories do seem to complement your current portfolio of cards. Doesn't seem like you need the free TU FICO since you get one from your Arrival+, but that's another thumbs up as well.

If it helps, I applied with an invitation and was approved. My report was pretty thin at the time though. From there, I was given auto CLIs of $500 every 6 months. Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an invitation for the Discover It in the mail yesterday, applied this morning, and was approved for $11,500. Whether that means it is or isn't a pre-approval letter I don't know.

Message 3 of 7
Longroad
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received an invitation for the Discover It in the mail yesterday, applied this morning, and was approved for $11,500. Whether that means it is or isn't a pre-approval letter I don't know.

Can you give your data points please? Fico, util, AAoA, other CLs, etc. I appreciate the help. Really makes me want it even more. Ha

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also say if they are showing you as the 10-14.99% range that they like you, and if they are also offering to pay your BT fees then they want you even more.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would also say if they are showing you as the 10-14.99% range that they like you, and if they are also offering to pay your BT fees then they want you even more.

I get those invitations endlessly. I checked my CR last night and they have SP me every month since early '14. No kidding. The Discover IT card has never really appealed to me. I'll apply for it sometime this year, for sure. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get those invitations endlessly. I checked my CR last night and they have SP me every month since early '14. No kidding. The Discover IT card has never really appealed to me. I'll apply for it sometime this year, for sure. 

yes! disco can get a little agressive with SPs. They have SP'd me basically every month since April 2014 when I applied and was denied. I have had no desire to apply for my own because my better half has one already and I don't want to spread myself too thin.

Ya gotta admit tho, except for them being conservative initially, they can give pretty high limits, awesome customer service, crazy promos like 0 for 12 months for existing card members purchases, letting them get in on the double cash back....

Their mailer is a little outdated they tried acting like Citi doesnt offer fico scores.....also amex wasnt checked either. Maybe its because its a slow roll out and ficos arent guaranteed.  Whatever!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.