cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Big NEWS! All Discover cardmembers must read!!

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover It Big NEWS! All Discover cardmembers must read!!

I agree that many places besides Discover have online shopping malls. For example, with my Citi and BofA cards, I have access to the Citi Bonus Cash Center and the Add It Up program. At the same time, I think it's been established here and elsewhere though that ShopDiscover regularly offers the most cash back versus its competitors:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2010/bonus-point-mall-showdown-shopdiscover-chase-ultimate-rewards/

Again, most of this is splitting hairs, since for a lot of places it is the difference between 5% vs. 7% back etc. Nevertheless, for people looking to maximize their cash back on online shopping without doing a lot of legwork, ShopDiscover seems like one of the best, if not the best, option. IMO the change from .25% to 1% is just icing on the cake.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 31 of 141
flowfaster
Established Contributor

ShopDiscover IS that special.  Go and actually compare some of the more popular stores and report back.  Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Tiger Direct, Microsoft Store, Kohls and Groupon.  Go compare those and get back to us lol.  Coupled with the 5% back for online shopping and 2% days.  Really?  Cap one/WF's online mall is garbage.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 32 of 141
HiLine
Blogger

@sengpatt wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Priceline Visa and Fidelity Amex both offer 2% on everything, so not sure why this is SO exciting!

Because the 1% is only on all purchases that are outside the quarterly 5% list. I think that is why.... I don't have either of the cards that you list, nor a discover card so take my opinion FWIW.

Right, I meant use Discover (or Freedom or whatever) on the bonus categories only.  For non-bonus, using a 2% card makes more sense than using a 1% card (even though 1% is better than the original 0.25%)

I'm not a Discover cardholder, but it seems like one of the perks of having a Discover card is being able to shop through ShopDiscover. Online shopping is usually not a bonus category, so I'm guessing you would just get the normal rate of .25% for it (on top of your discount for using ShopDiscover).  With the switch from .25% to 1%, you would now be able to get that much more back on your first $3000 of online shopping. It's not a ton, but it's nice that you're earning more cash back for doing the same thing.

It's only another .75%. Icing on the cake it is.

Message 33 of 141
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

The change from .25 to 1% also reduces the downside to miscategorized charges. For example, there is a building in my neighborhood that sells food on shelves, much of it canned/boxed, in return for money. They also sell fresh fish, meats and produce. You might therefore refer to it as a grocery store. But no...it is categorized as "specialty food" and therefore doesn't trigger any grocery category bonuses. This happens across multiple areas and bonus categories. Because the penalty for a miscategorization used to be a drop from 5% to .25% (which is below what I would get with any other card), I only used it when I was sure I would get the bonus. Now, with 1% for everything else, I'm more willing to risk purchasing in a store with a questionable coding. Not a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Also, I frequently get offers on Amazon that are discover specific. This month, I got one day shipping for free on everything as long as I used my discover. A nice perk I've not encountered with any other card. 

The discover is never going to be my go-to card. Most days, I don't even have it in my wallet. But it has been very useful on line and for categories that aren't duplicates of my other cards. Changing to the 1% CB at least marginally increases the likelyhood I'll use the card outside 5% categories and the change costs me nothing. I've been excited by less in the past.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 34 of 141
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Just called and converted by More card. Confirmed no Tiers

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 35 of 141
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Definitely good news. I remember taking a survey for discover a few months ago. I know my biggest gripe was the 0.25% vs the 1% offered by Freedom. Guess they took it to heart... as I'm sure I wasn't the only one complaining about it!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 36 of 141
bndresa1321
Valued Member

I called to get my card switched over the summer (mostly based on card design), after reading there weren't many changes to rewards, very happy with my Discover IT, I get compliments about it almost every time I use it.  

Credit Cards:
Capital One Platinum MC (11/2009) - $2K | Discover IT(07/2011) - $1.25K | GECRB Visa (07/2012) - $2.17K | Citi Dividend Visa (12/2012) - $4K | Chase Freedom Visa (12/2012) - $5K | AMEX BCP (11/2014) - $5K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (12/2014) - $9K

Message 37 of 141
HiLine
Blogger

@bndresa1321 wrote:

I called to get my card switched over the summer (mostly based on card design), after reading there weren't many changes to rewards, very happy with my Discover IT, I get compliments about it almost every time I use it.  

Which design did you select if you don't mind me asking? Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 141
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

I still dont get why people get so angry over .25% or 1%. Just flip out another card if its not a category that benefits you lol. There a million cards that offer 1% and some even more on random / not categorized purchases

Message 39 of 141
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

ShopDiscover IS that special.  Go and actually compare some of the more popular stores and report back.  Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Tiger Direct, Microsoft Store, Kohls and Groupon.  Go compare those and get back to us lol.  Coupled with the 5% back for online shopping and 2% days.  Really?  Cap one/WF's online mall is garbage.

Agree, Discover is the best when it comes to online mall rebates/rewards

Message 40 of 141
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.