Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It CLI question

tag
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Discover It CLI question

I opened my IT card February 2013 and was given a $3,000 limit.

I got an auto-CLI via email (happy surprise) in August 2013 bumped me up to $5,200.

I haven't heard a word from them since.   I expected to see an A/R inquiry from them at/after my 12month statement hit, but nope nothing.  Or will they now go based on when I got my last cli - so not until August?

I don't NEED the CLI but they sure got my hopes up after giving me one so quickly haha! 

If I hit the luv button on their website, is it a soft or hard pull?   

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
KRAMathKY
New Contributor

Re: Discover It CLI question

Using the Discover luv button is a SP unless you ask for a significant increase. If a HP is necessary, you will get a message telling you that someone will be in contact with you. This doesn't necessarily mean your request has been denied. They sometimes call to verify information and then process the request. If at any time during the conversation the representative needs to do a HP, you will have have the option to cancel the request.

Give it a try and good luck! Discover has really come around in the past six months or so with SP CLIs.
Message 2 of 8
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Be aware that the CLI, especially if handled by an analyst, they take into consideration a number of other things such as your income,  living expenses,  and your overall risk portfolio. For example my best friend has money from a left over family estate but he is unemployed, and doesn't have a huge credit portfolio. Chase up'd his Freedom card to 3K, then to 5K, but for the past 3 years they have left him at 5K regardless of how well he's been handling the card. When he asks for a CLI they aways tell him they can't give him more b/c of his current risk assessment.

If 5K is good for you right now stay with it. If it seems absurd for your credit history, your spending power/behavior, and income, then go for a CLI.

Message 3 of 8
phonic
Contributor

As others have stated, it's generally a soft pull. If they need to do a HP, they will warn you first and get your consent.

In my case, my original CL was $5k a few years ago. They slowly up'd it to $8800, which I had about six months ago. I never noticed the 'luv' button before, but finally saw it and decided to give it a shot and only requested an increase to $10k (I like round numbers). Kind of stupid since they will counter. Anyway, they instantly approved me. A couple months later, I was able to request again and asked for $15k. I got a 'we'll get back to you' response, but found my CL increased to $15k the next day.

From what I heard, $15k seems to be a magic number for Discover, similar to the $25k for Amex. While I did get more than that with Amex, I'm good with $15k from Discover so won't be pulling the trigger again anytime soon. Maybe they'll show me some auto love again.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 4 of 8
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Thank you everyone. I think I'll wait until the end of the month when balances reported on Discover and my credit union visa update then I will try cli online!
App Free since 2/2013
Message 5 of 8
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Hmmm, just pulled my TU free annual report and I see that Discover did do a soft pull on TU on 3/31/2014.   But I got no love from them.   Dang.  The ONLY thing in my credit profile that has changed is I went from zero credit cards to three:  Discover, a CU visa and JC Penny.  All 3 were opened Feb 2013 so over a year old and no apps since then and balances all under 10%.  

Oh well, I can wait.  Like I said, I don't *NEED* a higher limit.

App Free since 2/2013
Message 6 of 8
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Couldn't resist.  I tried the love button online with Discover.  Asked for an $1,800 increase to take me to $7,000. 

It said it couldn't be approved at this time, without moving forward with a hard pull.   So I cancelled the request.  I don't need it at the expense of an official inquiry.

App Free since 2/2013
Message 7 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

awdsmama you can try the automated number to try to get a SP CLI! Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.